Will a Merc 650 prop fit a 402?

jjbarnes

Cadet
This is kindof a mix between an outboard question and a true prop question since it's a "will it fit" mechanical as well as a "will it work" theoretical. I figured I would stand the best chance of answering both in this forum so here it goes:

Ya Ya I know, what's your RPM, displacement, angle of the dange...? I just want to know if a prop taken off a 65hp mercury 650 will physically fit on a mercury 402. This won't be my running prop just an "oh crap I broke a blade 5 miles down the lake...again" get me home spare and run until the old one is fixed.
They are both 13 spline (mid 70's models) but I wonder if the 650 has a different diameter/length shaft or something else about it I should know. I am currently running an 11 pitch which seems small and the motor sounds (no tach) a little too high. The one in question is a 15p and they are both the same diameter. I was hoping to find a 13p but the price is right.
Without fancy formulas can I get a thumbs up/thumbs down on getting this as a spare super cheap. You won't hurt my feelings with any comments. Thanks!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will a Merc 650 prop fit a 402?

On the Vortex prop; same part number and hub same diameter and pitch.
good as a temporary replacement as a routine prop it would depend on your rpm.

jjbarnes

Cadet
Re: Will a Merc 650 prop fit a 402?

I'm an idiot, I guess I could have done that research myself but didn't think of it. I assume if a Vortex #992408 10"x15p is the same for both then the shaft and basically everything else must be the same. I just needed a little reasurance. Thanks!!

On the Vortex prop; same part number and hub same diameter and pitch.
good as a temporary replacement as a routine prop it would depend on your rpm.