Motor acting weird

Hi,

I have a 1986 Evinrude 150 HP V-6. When idling, the boat sounds fine. When I give her the throttle, she starts to build up. As the boat starts to build up speed (as I am easing the throttle) and gets near climbing out of the hole, the engine jumps RPM's and sounds like it is going to red-line, then "catches", and the boat planes off and starts to move out. Obviously this is not right. Is this a problem with the prop catching or a problem internal to the engine or something wrong with the hull? Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Motor acting weird

Most likely a spun hub on the prop. The stresses on the prop are pretty much greatest at the point where the boat is about to get on plane. Pull your prop and mark a line on the inner hub and the outer part of the prop. Run the boat until it acts up like you describe. Pull the prop again, and you'll see the line isn't lined up any more.

Props can be re-hubbed at a prop repair place. If there's not one near you, your regular shop can give you a place to send your prop for re-hubbing. While it's out getting fixed, it's a good time to buy yourself a spare prop. Every outboard needs a spare prop on hand and in the boat.

From your description, it's almost certain that is the problem. It will not get better, but it will get worse pretty quickly.

Re: Motor acting weird

Sir,

Thank you. There is a reason you are a Vice Admiral. Seeing as the age of the outboard and the poor condition it was in when I got it---- I believe your assessment is correct without my having to take a further look at it. Thank so much for your help.