89 Johnson 40 hp - VRO/Fuel Pump Swap, will not idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caddis295

Cadet
Good Morning,

I worked on my boat this weekend. I rebuilt the carburetors and disconnected the VRO with a fuel pump. I was good to hear the motor start, but now it will not idle.

I have to prime the motor for it to start and then it runs a short period and dies.

I constantly have to prime the fuel bulb. I installed a new fuel filter, when I prime the bulb until it is firm, I can see the fuel in the filter slowly siphon down.

Could this be a fuel pump problem? Now that I have removed the VRO, I am worried that the fuel pump is bad or that I installed it incorrectly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Caddis295

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 89 Johnson 40 hp - VRO/Fuel Pump Swap, will not idle

which pump did you use> 3 line or 2 line. if 2 line did you mount it to the bosses on the block with the gasket? like this?

200450hpJohnsonforsale005.jpg

Caddis295

Cadet

Tash,

I installed the 2 port model to the boss like you instructed me. It came with a small green gasket with 3 holes. I installed the pump with the pointed end of the pump pointing upward (just like the one in photos in my manual).

The incoming fuel line connected to the fuel pump port with the arrow, and the outgoing fuel line goes to the fuel branch connector that feeds both carbs.

What did I do wrong?

Caddis295

tashasdaddy

my grey hose is the inlet hose, black goes to carbs, and primer connector (manifold).

Caddis295

Cadet

Tash,

You mention a primer connector to the manifold. Please explain the location of the primer connector? I may not have connected this.

Caddis295

Wayne.Walker

Cadet
Caddis295, I am having a similar issue after rebuilding carbs, new tank, new lines, ect. I just discovered that I have a VRO, but the previous owner unplugged it and plugged off the oil line. So my question is: can I just buy a fuel pump (2 line model) and mount it on the side of my engine like in the pic above, or ??? By the way, mine is a 86 40hp Evinrude that runs great as long as you sit in the back and pump the ball.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Reopening a 5 year old thread will not get you anywhere near the attention and help that a new thread will..... ( also, it is confusing and annoying to readers, and is specifically discouraged by both the admins and the forum rules :) )

GA_Boater

Fixed by moving post #6 to the thread he started. Then he re-posted here. :doh: Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.