shift cable question alpha one gen.II

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
If i use the oem shift cable I read on a post around here i can get around using the ex long socket tool . Is this true?

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: shift cable question alpha one gen.II

you will need that socket to install the cable
you can cut the old one off
you can jsut take a 3 inch 3/8 extension and drill a hole right threw it to slide over the cable

i jsut took a 1/2 3/4 nut drilled out the threads and welded it to my socket the nut you can get a 3/4 wrench on it

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmm -im really not a welder i have no experience this might be a good enuff reason to go get a welding kit and start learning. Thanks

I used a 9/16" nut driver to tighten my new cable. Handle was hollow and worked n.p. cut off the old one and std. deep socket worked on it.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

what does the abbreviation n.p.?? mean sometimes i just miss that kinda stuff im probably showing my ignorance

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

IF, you are using an OEM cable from Mercruiser, you do not need the special socket. Just unscrew that white plastic guide out of the cable end. Use a regular deep socket to install the cable. Then screw the white plastic guide back in.

NOTE: The reason I say it has to be an OEM cable is the cheap aftermarket cables are crimped on. Try to unscrew them, and you destroy the cable.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don S thank you very much for the definitive answer. I will betaking on my outdrive and doing my homework before i get going let you all now how it goes in a week or 2. In the mean time myto do list is endless this year. Thanks after spending a bunch of dough on the alignment tool bellows expander and such glad to hear i wont be neeeding the 25.00 socket.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i tackled the cable shift removal today. And I stopped at this exact point.
I undid the shift cable in the boat took out the anchor srews - went to the aft of the boat and undid the wire and unscrewd the allen scew and pulled the wire all the way out . Then i got a good look at the nut deep in their. the white cable end that protudes from the nut i tried to twist but to no avail. It looks like i really got to get the nut off. Am i missing something?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Then i got a good look at the nut deep in their. the white cable end that protudes from the nut i tried to twist but to no avail. It looks like i really got to get the nut off. Am i missing something?

If it's the old cable, cut it off. It's not like you are going to be using it anymore. The new cable comes with a new one, matter of fact, it comes with all new cable hardware.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ill be picking a new cable up tomorrow and ill have a look at it before i go and cut the old one off. Just to be careful.
Ill report back tomorrow evening with my experience .

Thanks Don S . Its nice to have guys like you around that are so quick to help and respond.
Hopefully after Im done with this experience I can pay it forward as well. Thanks

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

well my parts guy got me the sierra kit. To get off the cable actually wasnt too bad assuming you dont have to put the old cable back i, which is my case. Reserved installation for another day. Let you know how it goes.