1992 5.7 2b carb fires then dies after 1 minute

MikeM40

Seaman Apprentice
At first I was checking the elec fuel pump. (Pumps during crank but dies w/. power lost) then i had a light on the purple wire to the choke which lights when cranking but not on run. I will then lost all power to the Ing. switch & gages & the engine dies. Turn the ign. off for a moment & have power back. I must have a short somewhere I am going to check the oil sender,(changed) main fuse & engine grd.both good and all the wirng. Any other suggestions?
Update jumped the oil presure sender & seems to be idling ok I also removed & spayed the carb. I think I may need a new ing. switch as the power is still intermentent.
Changed OP sender, It will start right up and run 1 minute & die at that time I also lose power to the gages & ing. switch. after another min I have power. I also noticed that the carb only seems to be getting a good supply from only one side (it was rebuilt 2 seasons ago)Any other clues? Main barrel plug good
TIA

Last edited:

MikeM40

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1992 5.7 2b carb fires then dies after 1 minute

The electric fuel pump shows alittle over 5 PSI Going to try some seafoam in the water separator.
Found the electric problem a short in the red w/ purple wire from the salve soleniod.
The engine idle but the shifter is 1/4 forward & it stalls in Neutral