Small Hole in Lower Unit? 1989 Force 50

blunos

Recruit
I've been having some issues with water in my lower unit on a 1989 Force 50, and just after the last try on the water to figure it out, I saw milky oil (like lower unit grease mixed with water) oozing out by one of the bolts that holds the lower unit on. There seems to be a small hole just inside the bolt head (between the bolt hole and the side of the lower unit). It doesn't seem right that there would be a hole there, but not sure how a hole could actually get there by itself.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Small Hole in Lower Unit? 1989 Force 50

I have a hole there too...dunno why. maybe someone will c this and speak up. maybe they will know a good way to seal it off. Mine's a pin hole. Got a pic of yours...? may help people help you.

blunos

Recruit

I'm starting to think maybe the hole is supposed to be there, but that area is supposed to be separated/sealed from the lower unit grease area. Anything come out of yours after a run in the water?

jholstr

Recruit

Same problem here, I replaced all the gaskets inside the unit and found oil was still leaking out of a pin hole by one of the bolts as well as through one of the bolts. The leak is very slow but is happening on both sides.

I will get a pic soon.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Basically just water and a little brownish fluid. Not really oil...but not water either. kinda wondering if thats the not burned oil everyone is talking about that kinda drains out. From other post I have seen it is normal. But I dunno..

john from md

Commander

If you have a dark, oily substance running down the lower, it may be residual oil/fuel mixture that has come out of the exhaust. The lowers have water in them and it comes out of these drain holes. If the seal between the lower gearbox and leg is not that good, you will probably get exhaust residue in there and it will come out of the drain holes.

If it is a white milky substence, then you probably have water getting into the lower gear box.

John

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a stupid question here...I know if the factory made it like this is for a great reason, but I just have it burning my head up....what would it do if someone had this water in the lower unit and didnt fix it? What would happen to the foot? I mean oil is there to provide lube and cooling right? So would water not provide the lube or what? Sorry, I know stupid question just wanted to know. Thanks!

john from md

Commander

Water would flush the oil out and corrode the bearings. That would cause a sudden stoppage.

John

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, well after rebuilding my lower unit, or should I say just taking it apart, cleaning everything making sure nothing was scored, and after all that I will tell you that hole, its there for some reason or another. It's carved out of the back and purposey put there. No way is it a hole from not taking care of the outboard. Mine on the inside looks brand new, even my impeller looks great! Only thing is, maybe someone can help me on this, do the fins need to be facing one way or another upon istall? I found that installing it anyway and once turned, the fins would kinda mess up and go whichever way they wanted to anyway. Anyone? thanks and I hope this helped guys. Myabe its a bypass oil drain? i dunno..

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, now i know exactly what that holes for. it drains the whole outboard there after its removed from the water. Once i removed the muffs today, water poured out of that hole. It was clear, and did not have oil in it at all. But was warm.

On another note...there was no water in the foot either after my rebuild! HELL'S YEAH!

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL, posting this from the lake now! Twenty miles up the river, and still no water in the oil! Think shes good now!

blunos

Recruit

Wish mine had been so easy. Hole was as you found, but I definitely had leaks in lower unit, and gears are torn up. Funny thing is, though, the actual problem that hit me on the water looks like a bad stator - I can't get past about 3/4 throttle - if I do, it backs down to about 1/4 speed.

Anyone got an old 50 for parts - looking for a stator and lower unit?