Starter/flywheel issue, won't turn over

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
77 140hp, was out on the lake yesterday for an hour or so, running fine. went to switch fuel tanks, and could not get restarted. initially solenoid just clicked, then got starter spinning but not rising. with a little help the starter would rise and engage flywheel but not move it at all, just stuck to flywheel. with small rope could not move flywheel manually either, hopefully due to good compression? assuming nothing is seized up, as it was running fine until i shut it off but is it possible starter is just too weak for some reason? Thanks for any advice on possible options, I will likely pull plugs to see if it will turn over this afternoon

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter/flywheel issue, won't turn over

Bendix gear not engaging flywheel = Disconnect all cable connections pertaining to electric starter, including battery terminals, solenoid terminals, ground battery cable at engine, etc. Clean terminal ends and whatever they connect to thoroughly. Tighten with wrench or pliers..... not your fingers if wing nuts are encountered.

Check starter by having a good fully charged battery, then use known good jumper cables connected directly from battery to starter. Let us know what you find.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

Be sure the cables area connected to the correct battery post. crossing cables, usually blows the rectifier, and can blow more.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Brought an extra battery, cleaned all wires and terminals, same issue of solenoid clicking but no starter movement at all today. Tried to jump and confirmed 12v on the starter post-nothing so I guess starter is bad. Pulled it off, better to rebuild or replace? I do have the service manual, thanks for the help!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Take it to a starter and alternator shop for them to test it. Alternatively jumper it to a battery and see if it spins for you. Can you rotate the flywheel by hand at all ??? Try it with the plugs out if necessary.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could not turn by hand, but did not pull the plugs yet - once starter wouldn't move focused efforts there. Did confirm in neutral by moving prop freely. May try rebuild first then replace. I'll post results and thanks for any advice on the starter

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update - I pulled the starter and removed the end cap, both positive brushes were completely gone from wear - not too hard to see that won't work. Ordered new brush kit on here for about $20, will post results once installed

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the good news is that the rebuilt starter spins and rises like normal. However still no luck turning the flywheel, moved maybe 1/4 inch at best. pulled plugs and tried to turn by hand - no luck at all. Now scared something more serious is wrong, any advice as i prepare to remove flywheel? Boat had been running great and this occurred when switching gas tanks. Could gas be at all part of the problem to cause locking? Thanks for any help and hope the motor's not finished

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If with the spark plugs removed, you find it impossible to turn the flywheel = trouble!

Drop the lower unit so that you can determine if the problem is with the powerhead or with the lower unit.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Locking seems to be in power head, is it even worth rebuilding on this old motor?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

It depends on ones financial position and how much attachment one might have to the engine. Coupled with this is the fact that the engine isn't nearly as complex as the newer ones.

At this point, you've nothing to lose by tearing it down for inspection, after which you can fix it or toss it.