This.. whatever it is.. keeps popping loose! (pictures)

Pontoonfoon

Seaman
I broke the original fitting, screwing around in the motor, and bought a new one today...

this is what it looks like when assembled:

normal.jpg

now the problem occurs when I throttle up, the end at the idle screw, simply slips out of the fitting that holds it.

said fitting:
part.jpg

if I throttle up slowly, the rod will not pop out MOST of the time, but if I throttle up quickly it will pop out every single time.

and what I get is this:
popped.jpg

The bend in the rod is NOT 90 degrees so pulling on it allows the arm to simply pop out when its pulled.

for A temp fix I tie wrapped it so my day wasn't ruined, and it worked like a charm, but that's a half *** temp fix.

For something more permanent Im thinking a drop of locktite securing the rod into the bushing would cure the problem.. the bushing could still rotate in the arm, so freedom movement would be unaffected, the arm could still pivot as required.. I dunno if the original was also glued or not.. but I cant think of any possible problems this might cause..

mind you nothing is in a bind or anything like that, as I said if I throttle up slowly the motor operates normally, its just throttling up hard that causes it to slip out.

thoughts, comments, ideas?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: This.. whatever it is.. keeps popping loose! (pictures)

A trip to the Merc dealer for a new fitting. And NO to the loctite. You want the rod to pivot in the fitting, not the fitting in the lever.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree don't try to do it hafe @$$

Pontoonfoon

Seaman

A trip to the Merc dealer for a new fitting. And NO to the loctite. You want the rod to pivot in the fitting, not the fitting in the lever.

I broke the original fitting, screwing around in the motor, and bought a new one today...

the fitting is brand new, from the merc dealer.

and the rod, even without locktite cannot pivot in the fitting, it snaps into it, and cannot move left right or up and down, but the fitting can rotate in the arm it snaps into.

the problem im having is the little clips that snap over the rod just dont hold it tight enough, so with aggressive throttle movement it pops loose.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The bend in the rod is NOT 90 degrees so pulling on it allows the arm to simply pop out when its pulled.

The bend should be 90 degrees. You have nothing to loose, bend it to 90 degrees, it should hold in ok...

Dukedog

Captain

Tha problem is probably not tha clip but tha rod or tha angle of tha rod. Tha rod HAS to be at a 90 degree angle to tha clip and surface it moves with.............

j_martin

Admiral

I can't tell from this angle, but the rod end needs to be perfectly perpendicular to the part the clip goes in to. If the rod comes to the hole parallel to the linkage, then the bend needs to be 90 degrees.

The question is, how did the linkage get bent to start with? Did you wack it off that violently, or is something misadjusted so that the linkage runs out of travel and further force is applied to the rod, bending it.

It's not likely, but if the hole in the linkage is worn, it could cause the retainer to pop out.

hope it helps
john