solid tone alarm

keyway

Cadet
hay great site, i need help solid tone alarm comes on as soon key is turn on does any one know where overheat sensor is on 1995 ,90 mercury outboard,i replaced old ignition swicth and still it sounds off. thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: solid tone alarm

Right below the thermostat/poppet valve housing... next to #1 spark plug...

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class

coud be the float in the oil tank is sticking
can test it with an ohm meter
do you have the factory service manual

achris

coud be the float in the oil tank is sticking
can test it with an ohm meter
do you have the factory service manual

He has a solid tone, not a beeping....

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry read it wrong
thanks achris for correcting me:)

achris

#48 in this picture....

attachment.php

Attachments

• 95-90 temp switch.jpg
    95-90 temp switch.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1

achris

Take a photo of the back of your powerhead (spark plug area) and post it up here.... We'll point it out...

Chris......

keyway

Cadet

could you please tell how to test this sensor, i have a ohmeter do i need to unscrew it from motor,thanks.

achris

Just disconnect the end of the wire and put the ohmmeter between the wire and a good ground on the engine block Oh, and make sure the alarm stops when you unplug it....

Chris.......

keyway

Cadet

I disconnected sensor wire alarm stills sounds off,there are two brown wires connected to block with sensor wire,when i touch the two brown wires together alarm sounds take them apart it stops.

achris

Sounds like a faulty oil alert module.

keyway

Cadet

Would that be the 2" sqaure box or is it in oil tank.thanks for all your help!

achris

Would that be the 2" sqaure box or is it in oil tank.thanks for all your help!

The 2" square box.......

Best way to test it is to disconnect either (or both) of the blue wires going from it to the oil tank... If the alarm stops, it's the tank (unlikely as the tank float switch alarm would cause a beep, not a solid alarm). If the alarm doesn't stop, replace the module.

keyway

Cadet

Replaced module and still have alarm,I found badly croaded connecter under side rail,thought that was it hard wire and still alarm,same thing unsrew tan wires from block alarm stops touch them together alarm sounds tan wire comes from module then to block then to small red alarm under side rail then changes to purple wire to key switch.Could it be bad alarm or ground?

j_martin

Admiral

Replaced module and still have alarm,I found badly croaded connecter under side rail,thought that was it hard wire and still alarm,same thing unsrew tan wires from block alarm stops touch them together alarm sounds tan wire comes from module then to block then to small red alarm under side rail then changes to purple wire to key switch.Could it be bad alarm or ground?

The alarm is supplied with 12 V from the key switch. The alarm wire that goes up in the engine is the other wire to the alarm. When it is grounded, the alarm sounds. Find out what is grounding it and you have your answer. It could be OH sensor, Alarm Module, or a bare wire or long screw somewhere.
hope it helps
John

keyway

Cadet

Your say when its grounded alarm sounds,should it not be grounded or better ground:confused:?I can't wait to figure out this one.

j_martin

Admiral

Your say when its grounded alarm sounds,should it not be grounded or better ground:confused:?I can't wait to figure out this one.

When the key is on, the alarm sounder (usually a sonalert) has power to it. Grounding the wire in the engine, by the OT sensor, the oil alert module, or a hungry mouse completes the circuit and sounds the alarm.

It shouldn't be grounded unless the alarm is supposed to sound.

If you're baffled by this, you definitely need to get some help.

hope it helps
John

keyway

Cadet

Finally! my problem was only a half inch away, instead of grounding to block i needed to screw in the plastic screw hole beside it dam! Thanks for all your help. Like arnald said I'll be back!