Johnson 60hp 1980 unable to select reverse gear

shetland orca

Recruit
trying to select reverse gear through control lever, getting vibration through lever tried disconnecting cable at engine pushed lever manually but still bouncing backwards and forwards even with pressure on it and still not selecting reverse gear :mad: Any Suggestions??

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson 60hp 1980 unable to select reverse gear

If two piece shift rod with a joiner, may be loose or disconnected.

Has LU been removed recently or has only phillips screw on LU been removed?

shetland orca

Recruit

hi there jim i dont know if it a 2 piece shift rod , i bought the engine second hand put it on the boat and put it on the mooring to day it worked alright a first then gave trouble i was told it had water pump fitted recently so lower unit has been off... it sounds and feels as if the gears are crunching i reacon the unit will need to come off

whoamioitsi

Recruit

Having same issue with mine but i think mine is kus last year i hit a rock :( (grrr who put that there ) and when i had a new peice welded in he sunk it a bit to deep and now i have to get in there to clean some of it out !!

I would ten to think yours is more just a miss adjustment of the shift rod mine is an 81 60hp twin cyl and it is NOT a jointed shaft

should be an easy fix

just drop the lower unit twist the shift rod to the corect hight and slide it back together :)