I'm New with a Glastron.

geraba

Cadet
Hey guys, like the title says i'm new here and I had a 1980 Glastron HPV 165 GIVEN to me. it has an Evinrude 115 outboard on it. The poor thing has sat outside since 2000 with no cover and the plug left in it pretty stupid i thought. I got the plug out and washed the 10 years of blow dirt out of it and after I cleaned it up i sucked out the tank and cleaned up the engine and it fired right up! I couldn't belive it. So the floor is bad and so is the vinyl. I really like this boat and think it will be a great one for everything i need. Unfortunately I don't see any good way to get to the transome with out removing the top half of the boat. It looks to me when this thing was built the floor and carpet was all installed first and then the cap of the boat was put on. Any advise for me from anybody would be great.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: I'm New with a Glastron.

Welcome to I-boats. You aren't alone here with the glastron's, you might check out Frisco's thread.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=358277

On that type of boat you will most likely have to split the hull. Its not as bad as it sounds, there are a lot of examples of that on here. If the floor is gone, the stringers and transom have probably had it too. You might also take a look at Mick's thread, he has well documented a top off restore. He opted for the seacast transom and stringers, but you can always use plywood depending on your budget.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365820

How about a couple of pics? If you have questions, you have found the right place. Good luck with the restore!

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome!!! :)

Yes, pics!!! Just keep em to 640x480!

Free boats aint really free ;) But, they're usually a labor of "love" :D

geraba

Cadet

How do you upload pictures, I'm not real computer wise.

geraba

Cadet

no I didn't use that oil in the engine.

Attachments

• Car Show, Boat and other 023.jpg
    Car Show, Boat and other 023.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Car Show, Boat and other 024.jpg
    Car Show, Boat and other 024.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Car Show, Boat and other 025.jpg
    Car Show, Boat and other 025.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Car Show, Boat and other 026.jpg
    Car Show, Boat and other 026.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Car Show, Boat and other 027.jpg
    Car Show, Boat and other 027.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Most people set up an account on photobucket.com. Its free, then you upload your pictures....once uploaded you can resize them to 640x480. When you have the correct size, you can "hover" your cursor over the picture. A box will pop up below....the second item on the list is "direct link". Just to the right of that is a rectangle that will have something like "htpp// " in it. Click on the box with your left mouse button. That should highlight the text. Right click and "copy" should pop up. Left click on the copy. Then go back to I-boats where you type your post....at the top of the tool bar you will see an icon that looks like a mountain with the sun in the sky. Click on that, in the window that pops up right click and select paste. That should put the "http// " address in the box. Hit ok and the picture should show up full size in your post. It took me a while to figure it out....sorry if I'm a little confusing about how to do it! It's not bad once you figure it out! Nice looking boat, I hope you chose to restore her!

geraba

Cadet

CarShowBoatandother025.jpg

geraba

Cadet

Ok I will start restoring this tomorrow(i work 4 on and 4 off) This is my first build and boat. Can anybody tell me the best tools that you guys have found to be the best to use? What you would recomend?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Used a 4" angle grinder, die grinder, sawzal, skill saw, chisels, and a shop vac a lot. Those are the basic demo tools most people are using on here. If I had to narrow it down, I would say skill saw, angle grinder, chisels and shop vac.

RangerJim

Cadet

I agree with the tool list above, I'll add one tool thats good for checking areas you may or may not need to fix, a Rotozip, cuts a nice hole for exploring. I too am new to this site and just started a tear down on a Glastron, it's a 15' 68 Ski n Fish, good luck and remember to tale pics.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Some more info from another HPV owner:

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2451

My CVZ-18 & CVZ-19 are very similar to the HPV's...same era, same type of look with the metal flake finish etc.

The stringers in my CVZ-18 (see my rebuild thread in my sig) weren't totally shot, but I didn't necessarily think they didn't need help either...so I built another set right along side the original set, then glassed it all together, sealed it up etc.

I am not a fan of using a grinder...too many opportunities to go through the hull for me. (On my Bayliner rebuild) I just used a sawsall and filleted it as much as possible, then put a 40 grit belt on belt sander and went to town....BUT...a grinder would be much quicker....agreed.

Good luck!