1968 Starchief I/O 120HP

STOVIE

Cadet
Straight from jasoutside
"Also important, ask that somebody covers your dues for the first year. Just tell them that jasoutside was too cheap to pitch in. I am sure that somebody will pick up the tab for ya!"

Well I have a 1968 Starchief. Got the boat for... free...;) I have a long way to go. Tomorrow I plan to have the engine out and torn down. Here is a picture of the main cab. All the other pictures failed to upload, any tips?

Someone picking up the tab? As jasoutside mentioned?

picture.php

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1968 Starchief I/O 120HP

If you rebuild that old 120 make sure and put a new timing gear in it. My timing gear broke on my 1971 140hp (the composite gear).
Also if you want to upgrade the ignition you can get a new dist. from michigan motrz for $100, you want to double check to make sure a dist. for a 140hp will work in the 120hp.
You will git lots of help on this website, ask a specific question and we will help. I have a 1986 cheiftain, kind of like a starchief that I rebuild the interior in, new floor, transom and such.
You have your work cut out for you, but free is a deal that you can't say no too.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Timing gear eh. I have a 71' 140 hp and I will take that advice.

Distributor; Go with Pertronix breakerless ignition. Points suck. You need to eliminate the ballast resistors I think when you convert. Guys in the electrical forum have done it, do a search.

http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/chevrole1.htm

Jasoutside has your dues. He's that kind of guy.

Love this style of boat, please start a resto thread so we can all follow along.

North Beach

Commander

Yeah I don't know. One picture's probably not enough. We're gonna need more:D

STOVIE

Cadet

Well, here we go. Sterndrive removed, engine ready to come out. Good thing my neighbor has a boom truck;)

I agree about the new electronic ignition. I found an upgrade kit for $128 changing my existing distributor to electronic. I'll check your sources for other parts as well.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

elkhunter338

if a new dist will work in the 120, the brand new distrib for me was $100 when I installed it in the brand new 2007 merc. 140hp. The dist did not come with the new engine because you could use your old one. I figured why use a 1971 vintage dist. in a brand new engine, my old dist had electronic ignition. I now have it for a spare. yes the new dist does not use the resistor. I had to make sure and read the direction on how to wire it. It also uses a new coil with different plug ins.

STOVIE

Cadet

Engine removal day!! Not as bad as I thought! The hardest part was getting the engine on the stand, but we managed. Here are some more picutres, enjoy.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

more to come...

STOVIE

Cadet

Okay- I know there is a tool to remove the torsional dampner, but I don't have it. Any suggestions?

Any good sources to get engine parts for this engine? I plan to get the head rebuilt locally, cylenders look pretty good, as well as the bearings. What about carborators?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Stovie!!!

OK, apparently my boat friends around here are just as cheap as I am. I got your dues for this year!

If you plan on doing a rebuild sort of a deal you might want to run your postings here...

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

As for your IO questions, the guys over here will help big time, they are great...

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Man you are moving on that motor! Nice job!

Sure love that rig you have there, welcome aboard and have fun!

Cheers Man!

STOVIE

Cadet

Took the motor down to the machine shop today. Head gasket and bad piston ring causeing the excessive blow by. Boring it 30 over, staying with the flat top pistions, and still might loose compression slightly going to the new head gasket.

Being hopeful, I'd like to have the engine ready to drop back in within two weeks. The next thing is the decking. Any suggestions? What about gauges... Mine has a MPH gauge but have not seen them on there boats. Is this an add on? Where can I get one? Nav and running lights? Originals or close to them.

elkhunter338

Watch out for thin cylinder walls when you punch it out .030, my 1971 merc 140 had been bored .030 before I got it. When I broke a timing gear I tore the motor apart to see if it was rebuildable. What I found was looked like a pin hole in the #4 cylinder just starting to eat its way through. I scraped the block.

STOVIE

Cadet

Thanks for the heads up. One good thing is the block looks likme it is in pretty good shape. However, I thought the head was too until they tore it down to find a one inch crack at the #1 cylender.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to the Starcraft armada Stovie:D

Not much in life cooler than a free Starcraft cuddy:)

Good luck with the rig...and make sure you get J to pay those dues...I heard the dues are going to be higher next year:p

STOVIE

Cadet

Okay.... I have a chance to upgrade to a 3.0L engine. What do you think? $75 more than rebuilding the 151 c.i. Pro's con's?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

More hp for a mere $75? Um, yup!

In my readings I the 120 is almost always regarded as adequate (barely) for these rigs.

Cheers!

elkhunter338

I am guessing by the looks you have a 18 or 20' boat.
I would upgrade if you have good 3.0 parts.
All I can tell you I get 28mph max our of my 3.0 (2007 motor) at sea level with 4 pobs, fishing gear, kicker motor, fish box. I am running a 21 foot, 1986 cheiftain. Weight is 4,000 lbs on the trailer axles hooked to the truck, so I estimate the boat is 3,800 lbs fully loaded and headed out fishing.
Top speed is with the engine running 3,800 rpm, if I prop for more rpms, rpms increase, speed stays about the same and fuel mileage drops.
So I cruise at 20mph at 3,000 rpms when weather permits. I do not like reving the engine over 3,000 rpms for long periods of time. my own personal issue preferrence.
I do not know how much that extra 15-20 hp makes. My 2007 is called a 140hp, but in the book is shows it at 135hp.

STOVIE

Cadet

So going with the 181ci, would I have to rejet the carb?

Hope to have the deck pulled out today. I'll send pictures of the progress.

elkhunter338

I would say yes.
I had to rejet my carb going from a 1971 140hp to a 2007 motor. The new vintage motor has different head and the only think I can comeup with is the motor breaths different. Also the old 140 was bored .030.
The old carb sootted the plugs horrible on the new motor, but ran fine with the old motor, nice clean plugs. I had I think a 50/51 jets in the old motor, and I think I have a 48/50 in the new motor. I would like 49/49s but do not have those jets on hand. with the 48/50 I suspect I might be a slight lean, so I would like to try a 49/50 combo.

STOVIE

Cadet

That is good info! I have a guy that I work with that is a GREAT carb guy! He is taking on the challange of getting it right. So, I might just break down a buy a NEW 140hp engine! The machine shop quoted me $1780 not including assembly. I can get a new 3.0L for $1999, a 1995+ model engine. I think it will be worth it.

Here are a few pictures of the gimbal housing removal. The olny thing that is bad, so far, is the steering linkage shaft and rod. I did find both parts online for around $500. Just getting the old parts out is going to be challanging!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

STOVIE

Cadet

More pictures.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Any thoughts on where I can get these parts would help! Thanks guys!:D