115 evinrude tilt stuck

billybaja

Seaman
Hi I picked this motor up last year I saw it run and saw trim work up and down, I was keeping it as a spare but it seems I am going to need it as my motor lost two cyl.. anyway took off my engine and installed the 115 evinrude I think it is early 80`s motor no tag or i.d marks that I know of .. I hooked everything up started it up runs pretty good but can`t get the trim going.. I am pretty sure I have it hooked up correctly I just put the blue wire from the trim to the blue wire on my boat and same thing with the green just really matched up the colors when i hit the button I can hear the relay clicking but nothing happens trim motor appears to be full and I was able to raise it manuelly but it was rough , the only way I could lower it was useing the release bolt on the side of the transom mounting bracket.. It was wired the same way with the previous motor and worked well never had a problem I checked and rechecked my connections any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Bill:confused:

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 115 evinrude tilt stuck

disconnect the wires that run from the motor to relay box.Put pos to blue ,grn to neg.it should go up.if not ,tnt motor has issues,you can try and tap it while putting power,it could be a hung up brush,BUT,dont count on it.If it goes up great.Then makes sure all connections in relay box are clean,pull the relays ,reverse them .see if anything changes.If it was working,before you installed it,I would be suspect of your connections

billybaja

Seaman

thanks for the reply just tried it just hummed and sounded very labored like it was drawing heavy amps .. I weny over ll my connections I normally solder and shrink wrap any wire that I have to splice.. I am guessing the trim and tilt is shot?? dying to usr this boat...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sounds like bad tilt motor,

billybaja

Seaman

yea, I think you are correct.. how difficult to change??:rolleyes: