Pickin 'er up tonight Sea Ray 160

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd appreciate some input!!! Pickin up a project Sea Ray in a few hours...I have NO clue what kind it is, or year, aside from approx 16ft, closed bow, outboard. Just boat n trailer with some innards. I'm thinkin this would be a sweet retro resto :cool: and if its in better shape then the Bayliner, I'll get it water ready first.
Here's some pics. They're off the CL ad, so thats all I got right now.
searay1.jpg

searay.jpg

searay2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Pickin 'er up tonight!!!

The Sea Ray has much better lines than the bayliner from what I can see. Got an idea what your using for power yet?

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Sea Ray has much better lines than the bayliner from what I can see. Got an idea what your using for power yet?

Oh she's a BEAUTY!!!! Just got home with 'er...talk about a fun ride :eek: I dunno HOW yall do all this trailering with single axle trailers....its for da birds!!!

I think we'll get the 85hp Merc up n runnin for her (the one that came with the Bayliner). Got a trolling motor a friend is giving to us (I owe her and her hubs BIG time!) that we might just slap on and use if I can have her water worthy faster then the Bayliner, w/o the Merc since all the fishin places here are electric only.

The CG plate says she's rated for 100hp though... :D

It looks like someone got her resto'd half way then she sat uncovered. There's a garden growing in the bilge area by the drain hole LOL! There's a spot that gives under pressure, so I'm gonna cut out the floor tomorrow and see what I got, take samples of the transom, and see if she'll be safe for this season *shrug* Somethin tells me no, but, one can hope!!!

I dunno what year she is, or nuttin. I'm guessin pre '72 since no HIN. Last time she was registered was in the 80's, yikes!!! Gonna call boater registration tomorrow and see if they can get it pulled up.

I've already started callin her the Retro Resto :D She just screams CLASSY to me!

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, so I figured out the boat is a Sea Ray 160, according to the capacity plate.

Everythin is rotten, and there seems to be a carpenter ant colony in the front, yikes.

Got me a new Skil saw and grinder outta the deal though, yay :D

Re: Pickin 'er up tonight Sea Ray 160

So is she a lost cause ? , or perhaps just more work than you anticipated?

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pickin 'er up tonight Sea Ray 160

So is she a lost cause ? , or perhaps just more work than you anticipated?

Oh no, most definetly not :D For all the water she held, no thru hull leaks. Gettin her torn apart and gonna rebuild 'er good :) Just more then I'd thought. Had hoped to have 'er out at least this summer till I could go 'er right proper with a restore this fall/winter, but it looks like she'll get the full monty now instead.

Got a thread in the resto section goin. Aint had any updates in a few days, aint had a chance to get much done due to family obligations