Volvo sx drive oil- quicksilver synth ok to use?

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went to get oil for my Volvo sx outdrive from my local marine shop. My manual calls for gl-5 synthetic sae75/90W. My dealer only had quicksilver sae90W synthetic and said that would be fine. Is this ok or should I return it and try to find the right stuff? I'm thinking I should return it but I don't want to return it to the shop if it's ok to use. Thanks in advance.

IGIFF

Cadet
Re: Volvo sx drive oil- quicksilver synth ok to use?

Used merc high performance gear oil

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe you could save yourself some cash in the future on your V/P by going to your local auto parts store. It specs synthetic GL-5 75/90, right?

That's regular synthetic gear oil. NAPA will have it for probably under $10 per quart. I was at my local boat store today, and saw the Merc stuff was about $15.

Just sayin.

Bondo

Staff member

My dealer only had quicksilver sae90W synthetic and said that would be fine.

Ayuh,... He's Right,.. Same oil, different bottle, maybe a different color...

I use Mobil 1 in 75W-90... Same oil, No color...

Fun Times

Staff member

If your going to change the oil in the sterndrive you will be safe to use the Mercruiser high performance gear lube in your volvo, But if your just adding oil to the volvo sterndrive, then it's really not a good idea to mix the two oils together.;)

You will want to buy three quarts of oil, But may only use a little over two quarts of the oil by pumping the oil up from the bottom drain screw till it comes out of the top vent screw that is behind the top plastic cover that is held on by three little bolts.:)

To remove the drain screws You may want to use a impact driver set, This tool really can be your friend while removing them screws.;)

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CDUQ8wIwBg#ps-sellers

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your going to change the oil in the sterndrive you will be safe to use the Mercruiser high performance gear lube in your volvo, But if your just adding oil to the volvo sterndrive, then it's really not a good idea to mix the two oils together.;)

You will want to buy three quarts of oil, But may only use a little over two quarts of the oil by pumping the oil up from the bottom drain screw till it comes out of the top vent screw that is behind the top plastic cover that is held on by three little bolts.:)

To remove the drain screws You may want to use a impact driver set, This tool really can be your friend while removing them screws.;)

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CDUQ8wIwBg#ps-sellers

Haha... great advice! I'm just one step ahead of ya! ;) I just purchased a hand impact driver last week to unfreeze a pesky oil drain plug. I read the manual pretty religiously and it seems like a pretty simple process to change the oil. It says my drive holds 2.1L which is pretty much 2 quarts even. I only purchased 2 quarts, but if I need extra I'll just run to the store to get more.