Buying a boat 2000 miles away!

I've searched the forums and I bet it's around somewhere, but I can't find it. Help, please?

I'm trying to buy an Arima in Montana. I live in Tennessee. Hmm. Arimas are really rare birds around my part of the country, so if I want one it will probably have to be from around the Pacific Northwest.

Does anyone have experience with trying to buy remotely? The seller is an individual so I wouldn't expect him to take a credit card over the phone or anything. He'd probably think I was an internet scammer or something. Plus, I need someone to act in my interest to make sure the boat is as advertised, and take delivery for a couple of days until a shipping company can pick it up. I tried to get a boat shop to act as my broker, but they weren't interested - even before I mentioned a price. I guess the suggestion was too outside of the realm of experience for the sales manager there.

Shipping isn't really the problem, because there are companies that do that for reasonable prices, it's just the sale itself that has me stumped.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Buying a boat 2000 miles away!

I personally would not buy something as important as a boat sight unseen. But that's just me!

If I were a boat dealer, I wouldn't do it either because his opinion of a good boat might not be the same as yours, thus leading to problems in the end.

A freight bill could cost a couple grand....that's not reasonable to me.

I think I would be inclined to buy a one way plane ticket then rent a U-haul truck on the other end.

Flying and renting a u-haul was my first inclination, but I can't really take a week out of my schedule right now. I priced it anyway, and the truck rental, gas, airfare and hotels would be more than the shipping companies charge. I wish I knew someone in Montana.

And yeah, it DOES make me nervous buying a boat sight-unseen. But the pictures look good at least.

Last edited:

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

I would never buy a boat without hearing it run, and feeling the floor and transom. But thats just me, and i've never been after a rare boat.

Post up the ad link, or pictures if you want real opinions!

Good idea, Ryan. Here's a picture. Hope this attachment works.

One thing that makes me less nervous about it is that the motor on the boat is pretty old anyway and I plan to replace it with one I already have. So if it doesn't run it's not a really big loss.

Attachments

• Arima.jpg
    Arima.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not to be nosy but what kind of money are you talking? that would be a big part of MY decision if I were thinking about it. If its priced right and you are planning a repower anyways might be worth the risk if its something you really want. If its borderline price then I would want to be more involved with the inspection and sale. What about hireing a boat surveyor to have a look at it? Might be worth the 2-3 hundred bucks even if you end up not taking it. I'm sure there is someone in Montana that does that and would do so if your willing to pay for it.

Boat surveyor! Why didn't I think of that?! I'll bet someone that surveys boats would be able to handle the transaction too, or recommend someone who could. Excellent suggestion, Utah.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

gey it surveyed and have the seller ship it C.O.D. .... you pay the freight company the full amount upon delivery and they pay the seller

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with Smoke...look it over for an hour or two before you accept delivery...

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

Lots of advise here. Nice boat.

I live down by Houston, TX and bought my C-Dory in Connecticut. I talked extensively with the owner (not a dealership) then I opened a bank account in a local branch of the same bank that had the lien on the boat and transfered the fund into that account. I flew up there, spent 3 days going over and thru the boat. Then we went to the bank and transfered the funds to pay off the lien with the bank agreeing that I got title. Part of the agreement was the boat would remain in storage in Connecticut until I was ready to pick it up. We (wife & I) then drove to Connecticut in June, picked up the boat and dropped it into Lake Champlain. We spent all of last summer on the waterways and canals in N.Y. - enjoyed a nice cool summer, got home in October. If you have time, there are MANY nice places between Mont. & Tenn. to enjoy the new boat, including Yellowstone.

Arima, like a C-Dory, is worth the drive ! JMOO

Lake Champlain for a whole summer sounds like Heaven. I wish I could take that kind of time off. I don't suppose you'd like to deliver a boat for me, would you txtoyman? :)

No luck finding a boat surveyor in Montana. I guess that's more of a coastal profession. It looks more and more like I'll have to go handle it personally if I want this particular boat.

Check BoatUS for a surveyor they have a list of experienced surveyors listed by region. That is where I got one to survey our 3870, best money I ever spent on a boat. A good surveyor will be able to recomend someone to transport it. Good luck

caldwell54

Cadet

I once bought a boat about 900 miles away sight unseen with pictures. I did pay an independent boat dealer local to the boat to check it out, engine, boat, etc. Then had an agreement with the seller to store the boat for a while for me. It turned out well in my case. Surveyor would be even better.