gimbal steering

johnson 110

Cadet
Hi I had the mechanic here to do a u joint bellows job, he told me that the steering shaft on the upper gimbal housing is shot, yes you can see it has a lot of play in it. I am told that the engine has to come out to repair the shaft, It can also be fixed by drilling a hole to get at the bolt to remove and repair, I am thinking that this is it for me with this boat, how can I even get someone to fix this let alone the cost!!!

skargo

Banned
Re: gimbal steering

Can you tell us what you are working with?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Don't take this the wrong way (already been shouted at once today, I don't think I could handle it a second time.
sad0049.gif
).

Boats cost money to maintain and that's just the way it is.

To replace the steering lever, steering shaft and gimbal ring is going to cost in the order of $2000, and that's doing the job without taking the engine out.

If it's the older type steering lever and shaft, then the kit must be put in, and that alone is over $1000...

Chris.........

johnson 110

Cadet

The boat is a 24 ft chapperal the drive is 5.7 mercruiser with and alpha 1 gen 2 drive, the year is 1995 the steering has "play" in it, mech said that the upper shaft is loose. When you grab the trim cylinders you can see and feel the "play".

achris

The boat is a 24 ft chapperal the drive is 5.7 mercruiser with and alpha 1 gen 2 drive, the year is 1995 the steering has "play" in it, mech said that the upper shaft is loose. When you grab the trim cylinders you can see and feel the "play".

Ahhhh! :D... this is a little different. First try tightening the clamp bolts at the top of the gimbal ring... 90% of the time that will eliminate the play....

Sorry for the other info.. Normally when people talk about slop in the steering of a Mercruiser it's an older MC-1/R drive. It's unusual to find a Gen II with slop. The tightening of the bolts is an annual service item, so it should never get to the point of being loose.

Chris......

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

+1
I just discovered mine were loose, two of the bolts nearly finger loose, the other two had no real torque on them.
They should be torqued to 50-55lbs.

achris

+1
I just discovered mine were loose, two of the bolts nearly finger loose, the other two had no real torque on them.
They should be torqued to 50-55lbs.

Joke? There is only 2 bolts.... :confused::confused: