boat position on trailer?

BCorn

Cadet
I bought a 18' Cajun bass boat last summer and have a ? as to how it sits on the trailer. there is a roller for the strap to thread thru but evertime I have towed it that way it squishes/destroys the rubber roller that the boat sits on due to the pressure from the strap pulling down. i have had better lick just running the winch strap straight out to the boat without using the metal roller on the trailer. however, that way it sits still seems to put a lot of pressure on the rubber roller as it seems to wear them quickly. i will attach two picture to see if anyone has any thoughts and/or suggestions. thanks

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 0

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: boat position on trailer?

You need to use that roller. Right now, your strap is just pulling the boat forward. The roller lets the strap pull the boat downward as well, and that's very important.

Looking at your setup, It seems to me that very hard braking or an accident will send your boat up that roller and forward PDQ. The shape of the bow adds to that risk.

Finally, where is your safety chain for that bow? Unless you want your boat in your backseat, you need to route the strap through that roller and always have a strong safety chain attached to the bow eye and the trailer below.

CATransplant

Admiral

One other thought:

You might consider adding a cross-member and keel roller just behind that spare tire. If you adjust it correctly, it will take some of the downward force and give that bow stop a rest. That way, when you routed the strap through that roller, it wouldn't be pulling the entire front half of the boat downwards.

I'm a big fan of keel rollers for boats that have a long, unsupported stretch of keel on a trailer. It adds a lot to the stability of the boat on the trailer, and takes some of the work off the winch tower and bow stop. They also make the boat a skosh easier to load.

And don't forget that safety chain!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

AGREE^^^ Also if you are destroying your bow stop you are cranking the winch too tight.... go under the roller, snug the strap but don't go for broke on the winch.... you probably have a 3500 lb winch and you need about 150-250 lbs of tension.... then strap the rear and you're set

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yep, you need to run the strap through the metal roller. By doing that it will also prevent the boat from ending up on your winch stand in the event of an emergency stop. Still add the safety chain too.
Most people I've seen with bass or even walleye type boats with bunk trailers power load onto the trailer, they don't take out more than a few inches of strap. They run the boat up to the bow stop, clip on the winch strap, tighten er up and away they go. Man I wish I could do that!

BCorn

Cadet

thanks guys. i'll pick up some safety chaiins and get them welded onto the trailer. I will also re-route tha strap. if i keep busting bow stop rollers i will looking into adding another crossmember. thanks again.

Mi duckdown

Commander

WOW. I hope you didn't weld the chain to the trailer post. they should be attached with a bolt and a lock nut.

mattpyle

Seaman

Ya I'd just use a bolt/nut to hook a safety chain on. That way there's no possibility of having a weak spot on the chain or trailer from welding it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dangerous set up, BCorn.

Your winch and strap are for loading the boat, not for holding it in place once loaded. That should be done with a turnbuckle and chain that will prevent the boat moving in the event of an emergency. . .not forward and not up.

Here is how my BW Striper 15 RED SKY was rigged for 3,000 mile trips.

Attachments

• Starboard bow.jpg
    Starboard bow.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0