New to the Forum !

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Glad I found this forum there are tons of info here. I recently traded for an 86 sunbird bowrider with an 88hp johnson OB.
It is old and worn (like me!) But I am trying to convert it to a fishing boat. And make it Fish Friendly.
You will likely see a lot of stupid questions from me until I figure out what I'm doing. This is my first boat other than Canoes and Aluminum jon Boats etc..

Thanks Again for a Great place to learn and share !

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New to the Forum !

Welcome to the iBoats Resto Forum.
What kind of work are you planning to make it fish friendly; removing carpet, changing the seating?
How is the structural wood?
Good luck with your project.

jonesg

Admiral

Gut it, convert it to a center console.!

Bowriders seem very prone to water damage,
exposed furniture with rugs.:eek:

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For this summer I am decking the front area for an elevated seat, Then use the area between the dash's and the deck to install a livewell. I will install two more swivel seats at each rear corner. With storage boxes under them where the little molded in seats are now.
I used a set of earmuffs and fired the motor up yesterday, Are these motors always loud as heck when there out of the water?
The motor seems to run OK, But at idle it shakes back and forth like something isn't ballanced or something ?? I'm gonna put her in the water today and see how it likes the water.

The floor is "Spongy" in a couple places so if I can get thru the summer I may gut it in the fall and try to build a dedicated CC type fishing boat.....

S.t. F.u.d.a.b.

Recruit

im no expert...but im pretty sure your not supposed to fire them up outta water... IDK...hopefully nothing major.
good luck..i'm new to this too.

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome Mil!!!! Sounds like ya got some good plans for the boat :)

If ya go over the the OB Section here on the forum, and explain the motor things, I'm sure they'd be willin to help ya troubleshoot it as well.

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im no expert...but im pretty sure your not supposed to fire them up outta water... IDK...hopefully nothing major.
good luck..i'm new to this too.

Only for a minute and I had the Earmuffs hooked up to the water hose as well..???

jonesg

Admiral

Yeh they're loud as heck, as long as you have the hose on it you're good.
Use a timing light to make sure its getting spark on each cyl, don't rev it up unless its IN the water. It needs a load to rev. I would do a complete maintainance on the engine, rebuild carbs, water pump, gear oil change etc.
Thats BEFORE running it.

Sounds like you'll need a resto job if the deck has soft spots, stringers and transom will be highly suspect, take it easy on the water .

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

its ok to fire them up out of water when you have the muffs on - but make sure its peeing the water out or shut off asap - also I have heard you should never rev the motor up without a load on the prop.

have fun