Connection Problems - Mechanic is baffled

vtcc97

Cadet
Hi all. Thanks in advance for your help. I know very little about electronics, so feel free to dumb down your responses. Here's the issue:
I have a 2005 Nissan Fronitier Crew Cab with an aftermarket (U-Haul) hitch. U-Haul also installed the wiring harness. There is nothing wrong with my trailer wiring harness or lights, as they were tested by my local boat mechanic twice. Both are 4 pin. When I connect the two, and turn my truck ignition to accessories (without starting the truck) the turn signals and lights work fine on both the truck and trailer. However, when I start the truck, I get one blink on a turn signal and then nothing more happens on either truck or trailer. No brake lights either. Sometimes, a 10 amp fuse will blow on my truck, but not always. The mechanic is baffled, but he thinks it has something to do with the anti-lock brake system on my truck that disables something when the ignition is on. Anyone encounter this or have any thoughts? Thanks!
-Phil

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Connection Problems - Mechanic is baffled

I can't figure out how the ABS would affect the lights.:confused:

I'm not familiar with your particular vehicle, but some require special harnesses to work correctly- tapping into the existing wiring with a generic kit can cause problems. Sounds like you may need something like this.

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure just had a hitch put on a 05 Ford Escape it took a special wiring harness.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

My friend just went through something similar on his Nissan. He had to buy a kit from the dealer that consisted of a wiring harness and 2 or 3 relays that mounted under the passenger side kick panel.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

Hi all. Thanks in advance for your help. I know very little about electronics, so feel free to dumb down your responses. Here's the issue:
I have a 2005 Nissan Fronitier Crew Cab with an aftermarket (U-Haul) hitch. U-Haul also installed the wiring harness. There is nothing wrong with my trailer wiring harness or lights, as they were tested by my local boat mechanic twice. Both are 4 pin. When I connect the two, and turn my truck ignition to accessories (without starting the truck) the turn signals and lights work fine on both the truck and trailer. However, when I start the truck, I get one blink on a turn signal and then nothing more happens on either truck or trailer. No brake lights either. Sometimes, a 10 amp fuse will blow on my truck, but not always. The mechanic is baffled, but he thinks it has something to do with the anti-lock brake system on my truck that disables something when the ignition is on. Anyone encounter this or have any thoughts? Thanks!
-Phil

just curious.. how did he test the trailer lights?? did you hook up to another trailer to verify your rig is the cause or hook your trailer up to another vehicle???

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

A couple of things come to mind. First off if the vehicle has seperate bulbs for the turn signals and brake lights then you will need a wiring harness with a converter to wire it correctly. If the brake and turns use the same bulb then a converter should not be needed. The other thing may be an ingition switch problem. It sounds like the contacts may be good in the acc mode, but not in the run mode. Just a thought.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

time for a new mechanic..... this is a nissan problem and not a boat problem, instead of taking it to a boat mechanic take it to a nissan dealership service dept

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the trailer lights are drawing too much current for the truck's liking. I used to have a Grand Cherokee Limited that required a special harness with a dedicated + wire from the batt. The dealer said the voltage drop due to the added trailer lights could fry the BCM; as the voltage drops, the current increases. The dedicated + wire powered the trailer lights directly without having to go thru the BCM.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Japanese vehicles and North American trailers often don't get along. I had a couple of Toyota pickups that needed aftermarket adapters installed (on the trucks) to make the trailer wiring work.

I thought the Japanese had learned to build vehicles for our market by now, but it doesn't sound like it.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Japanese vehicles and North American trailers often don't get along. I had a couple of Toyota pickups that needed aftermarket adapters installed (on the trucks) to make the trailer wiring work.

I thought the Japanese had learned to build vehicles for our market by now, but it doesn't sound like it.

Not really a Japanese thing really. European too. If the vehicles have separate bulbs for markers/ running /brake/ turn signals, they need to be adapted. Hoppy makes an aftermarket converter.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is not only Asian vehicles that exhibit trailer/vehicle lighting issues. Many American made vehicles are have the same problem but some American engineers know about towing things so the "factory" wiring has already taken this into account on some vehicles. If your vehicle has amber turn signals for example, that means one circuit is needed to operate them. Your vehicle then has two more functions to power so those would be stop and tail lights for a grand total of three circuits. If you run those circuits to the back of the vehicle you would end up with 1) Left turn, 2) right turn, 3) tail/running, 4) Stop, and 5) ground. You now see the issue -- or maybe you don't. There are only four terminals on the typical trailer plug. 1) Left turn, 2) right turn, 3) Tail/running, and 4) ground. But what happened to the STOP function. Simple -- on vehicles that DO NOT have a separate turn signal function, a single dual filament bulb is used to provide Turn/Stop and Tail/Running lights. The bright filament is the Turn AND Stop function. For a normal turn sequence you turn on the turn signal and the bright filament flashes. If you step on the brake while turning, the bright filament on BOTH sides light but the signal flasher interrups the bright filament on the side in which you are turning. So the long and short of this is that your vehicle very likely needs a trailer light converter that takes the vehicles 5 wire system and converts it to a four wire system. There is no other way to make this system work. Some vehicles have a separate turn signal circuit but do not actually use an amber lens so make sure you understand your vehicles electrical system before messing with trailer wiring. You may create some expensive and unpleasant surprises.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I can't figure out how the ABS would affect the lights.:confused:

I'm not familiar with your particular vehicle, but some require special harnesses to work correctly- tapping into the existing wiring with a generic kit can cause problems. Sounds like you may need something like this.

Right you are. You are gonna need the right parts and info. Relay kit and harness needed.

See it here and good luck.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/receiv...-frontier-p-228543.html?cPath=4888_5804_5893&

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

U-Haul? There's your first problem!

Just Monday I borrowed a truck with U-Haul wiring to pull my boat - took all Sunday evening to sort out the wiring and I have done DOZENS of trailers in my time.

Get thee to a dealership and get THEM to install the proper wiring.

vtcc97

Cadet

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

It is not only Asian vehicles that exhibit trailer/vehicle lighting issues. Many American made vehicles are have the same problem but some American engineers know about towing things so the "factory" wiring has already taken this into account on some vehicles.

My point exactly. If GM and Ford can sell vehicles that work well with trailers, why can't the Japanese/Asians do the same?

skargo

Banned

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with the other posters on the relays. I have an 04 Titan that I was going to save money on and install the hitch myself rather than pay $400 for a towing package. Didin't realize I was missing $100 worth of relays to make it work. I saved a whole $20 and got got to crawl around in the dirt!

Look under the hood at the fuse box and you should be missing 2 towing relays "Trailer Tow 1" (smaller blue)" and "Trailer Tow 2" (large brown). Nissan item only as I remember. And make sure you don't short anything out on the install because others have had those blow before.

If I remember correctly the rear harness was a standard part and I got one with a 7 and 4 pin adapters. It was only the relays that was dealer. I had a jumper in my glove box from dealer, but it looks like the Frontier may need everything from the parts diagram. And they have come WAY down in price since I got mine. I guess Nissan figures if you don't want the tow package you ain't gonna tow so no need to sell you a relay.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

U-Haul? There's your first problem!

Just Monday I borrowed a truck with U-Haul wiring to pull my boat - took all Sunday evening to sort out the wiring and I have done DOZENS of trailers in my time.

Get thee to a dealership and get THEM to install the proper wiring.

+1
ANYTIME I have a wiring issue with a vehicle and it has an aftermarket trailer harness weather a u haul or others it comes out. then i repair the damage
they installer did. THEN i install a Factory wiring kit. Has NEVER failed to fix the issue. There are to many variables in modern vehicles to have a generic harness. Cheaper is NEVER better in this situation.