'92 Johnson 6hp - tilt lock too high!

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: '92 Johnson 6hp - tilt lock too high!

I have the same outboard...same year. There isn't another link available, so you're sorta stuck with that high tilt angle. On my trailer, I use the shallow water drive setting for towing. Works just fine.

It does look to me like you could fab something to replace the stock tilt lock links, but it doesn't seem important enough to me. I never raise the motor that high, anyhow, and usually use a transom saver while trailering.

Terry Keeley

Seaman Apprentice

Hey, thanks for the reply, at least now I know it's not just me or a wrong part.

Think I'm gonna make another piece, it tilts so high it has to be moved to one side or it interferes with the mounting lugs.

BTW, how's your running? Anything we should watch out for?

CATransplant

Admiral

Mine runs great. It does take four pulls to start when cold, but that's the only thing that bugs me. After that, about a half a pull fires it up instantly.

I did have the stop/safety switch fail on it, though. A new one is $70 and requires disassembly of the tiller handle, so I bought an aftermarket one and mounted it on the starboard side of the lower cowling, where there was plenty of room.

No complaints with it at all. It planes my 12' aluminum boat and runs about 12 mph on the lake. Good stuff.

Terry Keeley

Seaman Apprentice

Good stuff, thanks for the info.

Ours was a little rough starving at idle but we have it running well now, starts right up too. Planes our little 12' smokercraft and goes about the same speed but will tick over all day...:D

Had problems with the kill switch too, wouldn't make contact with the stock clip, had to add some shims to it.

CATransplant

Admiral

I figured out why that outboard tilts so high. A lot of people use them as kickers on larger boats. When you're not using the kicker, it needs to be tilted so the leg isn't in the water to reduce drag. By having it tilt to almost horizontal, the problem is solved. Now I understand the reason.

Looking at the existing links, it looks like it would be pretty easy to fab something up that woudn't tilt it so high. It might even be possible to drill a new pivot holes on the links, about an inch back of the current ones. I'm not sure, but if that's possible, that would solve the problem.