having problems with my 89 mercruiser I/B motor

gspt0

Recruit
ok i just resently bought a 1989 wellcraft 180 classic, it has a 3.0 mercuiser I/B motor. i went to fire it up and all i got was a clicking noise from the motor compartment. so i took the starter off thinking it went bad. i got it check at auto zone and it worked find. so i put it back on and the same thing happen. i also checked to see if i had power to everything and i do. i read some where that the slave solenoid maybe bad. i tryed to bypass it and it worked. well it turned the motor over for a little. i had water to the motor and all. but then it just stopped turning over. i still got power to everything but now when i go to bypass the solenoid nothing happens. did i mess something else up or does anyone know what may have happen. please help!!!!

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: having problems with my 89 mercruiser I/B motor

you have posted in the wrong forum this is outboards -not that we dont like you .

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

something is either wired wrong or not getting a connection....whether the slave is dead or not the main solenoid would still work. download tha manual and start tracing wires and cleaning connections.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Sounds like a Dead battery, or Corroded wiring...