I need a strong outboard motor stand

CL5057BL

Recruit
I need to take off my outboard to repair the transom. My outboard weighs exactly 381 lbs. I saw the sticky, however, I really do not think it is strong enough to hold my motor. I was just going to set it on some old tires, but I think I want to work on the motor at the same time as my boat(new impeller, rebuild the carbs, compression test, ect...) so I believe a stand is the way to go. I am open to any and all sugestions, I am a builder, not an architect...

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: I need a strong outboard motor stand

I bought an automobile motor stand that actually worked pretty good for my motor. I just lined up the arms with the outboard bracket and used 3 pieces of OSB to give the motor a place to mount. The angle isn't right but it worked well to hold the motor and made it really easy to work on.

P1060098800x600.jpg

P1060102800x600.jpg

P1060176800x600.jpg

saumon

Lieutenant

Do the one in the sticky but beefier (with 2x6 instead of 2x4 and add some braces). That's what i've done and it turn well.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I looked at making a beefy version like the one in the sticky. By the time I bought the lumber and put my time into, it would have been quite an investment.

The motor stand I bought was $90 at Harbor Freight (on sale and 20% off coupon).

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the sticky stand will handle your motor.

jonesg

Admiral

Got my engine stand from craigslist, $25. Had my V6 on it all winter outside.
The wooden ones are nice too....:p