1993 evinrude 115 choke

Bassclown

Recruit
The little red switch on my manual choke is cracked and leaks by so while I'm waiting for the parts, can I just remove it, plug the hoses and still be ok? Right now I have the solenoid or whatever it is removed and the switch that connects to it. The engine runs ok but seems like it has an issue staying at a good idle. It goes up and down between 800-1200 rpms. I know from reading on here that a warm up of 5min is supposed to run about 1200rpms and then go back to around 600-800rpms Would this cause the up and downs. It idles good with it on, it just leaks a lot and I don't want that. I'm pretty new to outboards, but I just rebuilt the carbs on my own so I can figure stuff out for the most part. Any help would be appreciated.

keynowhere

Recruit
Re: 1993 evinrude 115 choke

if you dont have the choke primer hooked up it shouldnt start when cold. if it does start then it does not matter if its not hooked up.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if tune properly, it will start cold, just a little hard to start. pulg the line to the solenoid.

Bassclown

Recruit

Ok, thanks. I'm going to try and start it today with it off and see how it's going to act. Thanks for the info!

Bassclown

Recruit

Ok, took it out today to see how it would run. You guys were dead on with it being hard to start. Took about 20min, but after that ran pretty good. Trimmed right (guessing) running about 5100rpm's and about 43mph with 2 ppl and tackle at WOT. Is this pretty close to what I should be getting? It's on a '93 16' 9" Nitro. The prop has some pretty good wear and tear on it. Keep in mind this isn't my boat. It's my brother-in-law's boat. I'm using it and fixing what I can afford while he is in Afghanistan.