no fire

new coil, continuity on resister wire, voltage on both sides of coil, removed tach wire, voltage at points, new cap and rotor, can't get voltage from coil tower, what am I doing wrong? tried to download instructions from sticky computer wouldn't handle it.Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. oh sorry it's a 1989 2.5 merc.even tried running jumper wire direct from starter to + side on coil....still nothing.

Re: no fire

don, computer won't let me download power point. as I said I even ran a jumper to + side of new coil and grounded - side when I removed ground coil did not fire from tower. bought boat during winter ( guy probably lied about everything, my bad). Was going to fix up over time but now my wife has been thru a $30,000 operation and needs more just trying to get running so I can sell, can't afford a lot of tools or parts, what should I do, give it away or burn it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

don, computer won't let me download power point.
There is nothing there in power point.

side when I removed ground coil did not fire from tower.
There is no ground wire on the coil.

Was going to fix up over time but now my wife has been thru a $30,000 operation and needs more just trying to get running so I can sell, can't afford a lot of tools or parts, what should I do, give it away or burn it.

Sorry about your problems, but it doesn't make the troubleshooting or the tools needed any different.

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think what he is referring to with Power Point is the very well done explanation of how points ignition works complete with animation.

To fix the problem of not being able to install Power Point you need to have admin rights over the computer and a MS Office disk or you can download Open Office which is free and will let you view the presentation on how points work.

Here's a link:
http://download.openoffice.org/

By the way, I have nothing to do with Open Office, just trying to help get you back on the water.
Good luck.

Bondo

Staff member

what should I do, give it away or burn it.

Ayuh,... I'd try a fresh set of Points,+ new condenser before ya Burn it...