anybody make their own side curtains?

BF

Lieutenant
I've got a 1991 searay with the factory top... the top's still in great shape (rarely used). But there are no side or rear curtains. Even though the top has 1/2 the zippers for them, I can tell this boat never had the factory curtains b/c there are no snaps mounted on the boat. I'd like to have the curtains so that it'd shed rain when moored. I can get them made locally, but at a cost of $500 +taxes... A complete new top with curtains is $1100+.

I'm thinking of maybe taking on this project myself... Since it's really to use it as a mooring cover, I don't think I'd use clear plastic to have windows... but rather use a material as similar as I can get to the stuff's the top is made from (sunbrella type stuff)... or I could use some lightweight canvas... maybe afterwards treat it with some silicone waterproofing spray for tents.

If I go ahead, the idea will be to pre-shrink the fabric, cut the existing 1/2 zippers off the top and sew on the new 1/2 with the other new 1/2 going on the curtain... I could make an edge folding over nylon webbing and then add SS domes/snaps ... I'm not too concerned with it looking 100% perfect, but would like to have it shed water so I can avoid having to put on / take off a travelling tarp on the moored boat. That's a PITA.

I'm not sure if regular fabric stores carry long heavy duty plastic zippers... At least for the rear curtain, I'd probably need longer ones than normally used in coats, but I haven't measured yet. I'd also need to find/buy some SS dome/snaps...

Anybody tried this?

Re: anybody make their own side curtains?

BF,

This is definitely doable. Rochford supply has all the stuff you need. Plus you can find other suppliers through web searches. A household sewing machine should handle a lighter weight marine fabric. If you want to use eisenglass then you will need to use an industrial machine with a walking foot. I recommend springing for Sunbrella or similar fabric. Don't buy regular canvas. Even if you pre-shrink it the color will either run or fade out quickly. Been there done that. There are a lot of knock-off sunbrella materials out there that are just as good. In addition go with a matching binding material instead of the nylon webbing. It will look better and last longer. Also use UV resistant #10 zippers. You might want to also pick up the snap alignment pins. These are snaps that have a straight pin sticking out. You install the male portion of the snap on the boat. Then put on it the female part of the snap w/ the pin. Install the piece of canvas and pull it snug over the pins. This will give you exact location of where to install the female potion of the snap on the canvas.

BF

Lieutenant

great tips... thanks! I'll do some digging to see what's available locally. When you say "binding material" instead of nylon webbing, is that something special? Or I could just do a hem edge by tripling or something the curtain material (?). Maybe it'd be good to have the domes go through more than one layer of fabric.

Thanks for the tips on the zippers and snaps, great help.

Binding is the finishing edge you see on canvas tops. It is a specially folded and finished piece of material usaully about an inch wide that you fold over rough edges to finish off the edge. Sunbrella makes matching binding for all of their colors.

You could double and/or triple over the edge if you want instead. It's up to you. Another trick with the snaps is to put a small piece of heavier fabric behind the snap to re-enforce the area. Sometimes top makers use a scrap piece of eisenglass cut a little bigger than the snap diameter. You put it between the canvas and the female receiver part of the snap before you do the final crimp.