Disappearring Floor

opalized

Seaman Apprentice
Whole lot of soft floor

ok now for the floor, had to cut it out since the rot went most the way to the bow.
It appeared to have nothing more than expanding foam under it, so is home depot lowes, expanding foam in a can gonna work to replace what i have cut out?
under the bow they had just stuck foam strip in all around the tank, are these really needed, they had also done this under the seats, can this be replaced with expanding foam in a can or, (realized this could be a bad idea for anyone in hte future that would want to reupolster the seats or rebuilt the mounts) simply put back what i took out??

there is one beam that runs from the front of the bilges up the center of the boat to the front, well slightly off center but close, it was fiberglassed and appears to have survived the rot, i will know better when i clean my disaster from yesterday up and look alittle closer. but attached to it at the rear of the boat, as a perimeter to the bilges, or if you will making the bilge area walls was a 2x4 type material, what type of wood do i use to replace this which was mostly rotted out. the wood i pulled out seems incredibly heavy and dense, but it was very water logged. standard 2x4 cut to fit then wrapped with fiberglass as the center beam is??? The center beam seemed short the foam on either side went about 1/2" above the center beam not allowing the floor to touch it, there could have been shims at one time but by now they had rotted out?

Also it was cut short of the floor height, and appeared to have plywood shims to get it to the floor level? Is this required or can i replace with new wood to floor height and install floor?? (image provided you can see center beam is approx 1 inch below the lip on bilge pan)

Floor plywood seemed to be nothing more than 1/2" ply, prior to install wrap it top and bottom with fiberglass and mesh??

Floor cavity to bilge area, should there be holes to allow water, to drain down the center of the boat into the bilges??
I was thinking maybe a piece of galvanized 1/2 thin wall pipe drilled full of holes layed right along either side of the center beam then foamed in place so if any water got in this area, it could move back to the bilges i could install a bilge outlet into the bilges typical of the outlet to the outside of the boat.
It would seem though between the foam, and resealing the whole floor area, there would or should be no way for water to reenter this area for a good long time????

As always the information provided is Greatly Appreciated, The welcomes to Iboat are always received with Thanks. And always wish the very best of Boating times to all, and a safe adventure when ever you leave the hosue with boat in tow

Thanks Dave

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Disappearring Floor

If you decide to put foam back in, the 2 part pour in foam from USComposites.com is much more cost effective.

For drain pipes, I would think pvc would be much better than galv'ed steel. Steel is heavy, and more importantly, will rust everywhere the galv is removed, ie drilled thru.

I'm sure others will chime in, good luck on the restore!
Terry