Tips replacing Merc 120 4cyl manifold?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I need to locate a manifold used in the 70's with a rochester carb, and elbow on the back. The rochester seems to make this part hard to source.

Is this a hard job to do. I have the manual #2 and will certainly study it, but was curios for some insight on how difficult this is.

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tips replacing Merc 120 4cyl manifold?

drain the water out if before removing. make sure you dont get debris in the ports when cleaning old gasket material off. i like to use a shop vac before i install new gaskets and vacuum out the ports to make sure nothing got in there

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is going to be a PITA. I will have to spend hours plasma cutting & fab-ing a test plate to bolt on where the elbow goes but leave the center cut out so I can pressurise the water area only and see if there are any leaks. No local shop can test it for me.

45Auto

Commander

Some reason you can't just use a flat plate with some oversize holes drilled in it to match the bolt pattern and a Schrader (tire) valve to pressurize it? Shouldn't take 5 minutes on a drill press, less than that on a mill.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some reason you can't just use a flat plate with some oversize holes drilled in it to match the bolt pattern and a Schrader (tire) valve to pressurize it? Shouldn't take 5 minutes on a drill press, less than that on a mill.

That is how I am going to do it. However I own nothing to be able to do it. I will have to use a friends shop and cut the plate, then drill + tap a refrigeration schreder valve. It should works well, its just I lack metal working skills.