73 evinrude 115 tilt/trim

perculator

Seaman
my motor doesn't have this but i found one adverstised on craigslist and wondered if it would work with my motor. it's advertised as a Dual cylinder Johnson/Evinrude power tilt and trim. Fits Late 70 early 80's - hp 85-200.
dude's supposed to be getting me a model number but i'm just wondering if anyone has done this before.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 73 evinrude 115 tilt/trim

no, 85 is a 4 cylinder, you have a 3 cylinder motor. differet mounting.

perculator

Seaman

he called back and the only number his wife could find on it was J09217....does that mean anything to you?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That power trim system should work on your engine. I purchased a used one of these many years ago and installed it on my 72 100 hp. Worked great. While these units are pretty sturdy, they do suffer with age-when components start to wear out. Some critical parts are no longer available. I'd make sure the unit works and that all the components are there, such as the trim switch, the solenoid and wiring setup-complete. Make sure you get the lift bracket which is bolted to the swivel bracket. You should be able to operate it with a battery. If you find it does not work, or that a part is missing, make an offer that will include your time to locate and install the required parts. As ezeke mentioned, you can print a copy of the parts list off the web-would be handy to have when trying to determine if there are any missing parts. The trim gauge may have been an option and not part of the original factory kit.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no way. I would spend the 150 and make sure your motor is running good. No sense to try and raise and lower your motor without knowing it will run, right?