56 Evinrude 5.5hp gas/oil mix

Jack Mears

Seaman
I just fired up an old 56 5.5 Evinrude. Dual hose setup. Mixed 24/1 in tank.
She ran fine for a while in the test tank for a couple minutes in gear, then started slowing down, then quit. HARD to pull when I tried to restart, really hard. Like she's seizing up.
Is 24/1 mix too little oil and should I be using 16/1?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 56 Evinrude 5.5hp gas/oil mix

It is supposed to be 16:1 but it didn't sieze up from 24:1.

Two main possibilities:

Overheating (not pumping water)
Busted shock absorber in the lower unit.

Less common:
About to throw a rod.

Remove the powerhead and see if it frees up. If it does, keep going and replace the shock absorber in the lower unit.

Attachments

• Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1

oldjohn

Cadet

I'm not the sharpest tack in the pack F R, but, if the gas tank says mix 1qt oil to 6 gallons fuel isn't that 24-1. How much more oil to ad for 16-1?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I'm not the sharpest tack in the pack F R, but, if the gas tank says mix 1qt oil to 6 gallons fuel isn't that 24-1. How much more oil to ad for 16-1?

24:1 is 5.34 oz of oil and 16:1 is 8 oz of oil per gallon. Here is a good link to figure your ratios.:cool:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/marineoilfuelcalc.html

You were correct for mixing a quart for 6 gallons to get 24:1 For 16:1, you'll need 48 oz of oil.

If you do find out that your shock absorber is broken, put the two pieces back together and tig weld the seam. I have heard of several people doing that and it works good.:cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well the tack is sharp enough, just wrong tank. That motor came with a four gallon tank. One quart to four gallons = 16:1

Rick.

Captain

If you've already mixed 6 gallons at 24/1 you need to add 16 oz. to get to 16/1 . Do they smoke pretty bad at that mix? I would think they must. Best of luck. Rick.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Even at 24:1, in a barrel in the back yard, they smoke bad enough to fill the neighborhood and **** the neighbors off.:D:D:D

Done it for years....:eek:

oldjohn

Cadet

Guess if it smokes enough it will clear out the mosquitos on Lake Tanycomo, 16/1 seems like alot of oil... I didn't get a tank with this motor, bought a 6 gal. One more question in this vein then I'll leave you guys alone - for this old motor, which is better, straight 30wt or the 2 cycle oil?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Guess if it smokes enough it will clear out the mosquitos on Lake Tanycomo, 16/1 seems like alot of oil... I didn't get a tank with this motor, bought a 6 gal. One more question in this vein then I'll leave you guys alone - for this old motor, which is better, straight 30wt or the 2 cycle oil?

2-cycle oil, hands down. When they spec'd it out for 30 weight, that was all there was.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, getting rid of the mosquitos is an excellent idea. When you get done then you can come over here. My oldest motor only runs on 24:1:D:D:D

But yes. Get the tcw3 outboard oil. :cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Jack, you still haven't found the cause of it getting tight. Don't be beating the oil issue to death. Like I said, 24:1 didn't do it. You still have work to do.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, like Frank says, check the condition of your shock absorber, which is just below the bearing hub, under your water pump assembly. If you do infact find that it's broke, (which is common) then have the pieces tig welded together and put it back in. Of course, you'll need a new gasket, for the upper bearing housing, too. This will be a good time to check the gearcase oil and make sure it's still water free. If water is getting in, then you'll need more than just the upper bearing housing gasket. Vintage Outboard sells lower unit kits for those, that match OEM quite nicely. I bought a kit for my 62 5.5hp last month and it worked out great. let us know what you find:cool:

Jack Mears

Seaman

Pulled powerhead again. It's turning free by hand. Problem is in lower unit. Shock absorber is good. Gears are good. Water in oil though and this was after running in tank for no more than five minutes when she started to seize up. I pulled it out immediately. Will replace seals this time around. Where is the shiftshaft seal? I dont see it.
When I rebuilt the water pump I replaced the lower bearing plate with a used one. The old one was totally damaged due to old shock absorber coming apart. The plate that I installed may not have been the right one depthwise.
The old one was ground off from the shockabsorber spring breaking and consequently pushed the lower shaft upper half into the waterpump plate. I was not able to compare the two due to the old one being ground down.
The 24/1 gas oil mix was not the problem as I first thought.

Jack Mears

Jack Mears

Seaman

Hey Zeph- Vintage Outboard? I cant find them. Can you help me?
By the way, I have a 46 Zephyr that runs. A unique motor, for sure.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hey Jack, sorry about that. It seems ike their website is having problems now. But here is Douglas Brooke's (the owner) phone number:

509-747-9960

Yea, that old Zephyr in my avitar was actually my very first outboard motor and the culprit of my disease.:D
it was the 66th motor, built under the 4404 model number. I stripped it down and repainted it and rebuilt the lower unit. The powerhead was fine, so I didn't tear into it.
Yes, I agree, they are a unique motor. The most unique model year I found, was the 49 model with the weedless prop. The only model year with the weedless prop and the only model year that is turnable a full 360 degrees. Plus, this is most likely the only 4 cylinder and the biggest outboard built with a weedless prop. This would probably be a little bit more of a collector motor than the other 90 degree counterparts of the 4378 - 4404 models.

I totally restored a 1947 model as well. I let a guy take it out and try it and I guess he went out and pissed of some jet skiers with it.:D:D:D I held it for him to come up with the money, but he never did. I did end up selling it to someone who was "acquiring the disease" I sold my old 46, to a fellow that knew my uncle, to add to his collection, as well. It was like letting go of an old friend after 17 years, but at least it went to a collector. At the same time, this fellow purchased a 53 Johnson 25hp from me too.

That old Zephyr will make a fun project, but I think you'll like running the old Evinrude Fisherman a little better, mostly for the sake of the updated design.

My second motor was an old 5.5hp 1955 Johnson and what a difference it was. A little better motor, for the lesser experienced.:D

Well, I hope things work out good with that 5.5 you're working on. If I have anything you need and it's usable, I'll let it go to you, cheap. I have a 62 vintage which I just rebuilt the lower unit on last month. The lower on mine was so bad, that I had to buy another rebuilder on Ebay. I'm glad I did, because it was a nice rebuilder too and did a lot of justice for mine.:cool:

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Jack, you still haven't found the cause of it getting tight. Don't be beating the oil issue to death. Like I said, 24:1 didn't do it. You still have work to do.

Jack Mears,

FR is an extremely knowledgeable mechanic........if he says a chicken can pull a plow....then hook the chicken up...:cool: Just my 2 cents. He has helped me a bunch. Hat's off to ya FR!!! and the iboats forum guys!!

cajuncook1

jbjennings

Captain

Ditto on the chicken!

The OP said that the shock absorber is good but that the problem WAS in the lower unit. What IS the problem in the lower unit then? I suspect that the shock absorber is still the culprit for two reasons:
1. F-R suggested it might be the problem
2. It's hard to see if the absorber is bad unless you know what to look for.

Either way, I hope you find the problem. I'm curious, now!
JBJ

Jack Mears

Seaman

The shock absorber is good. I silver soldered it before I put it together the last time, or was it the time before? The spring was broken and forced the upper half into the waterpump bearing and totally destroyed it.Anyway, when compared to another good one they're the same length. Silver solder joint is still good. So- the one remaining culprit could be the driveshaft which is worn where it fits down into the shock absorber. The flats are worn at their upper area. Also the top end splines are worn where they fit into the crankshaft. I have a good one on the way.
I'm gonna get this buzzard running good so help me!

It's not a occupation-it's a hobby.

I've still got 2 planes that are hobbies too. Kinda lost interest in them after 35 years of flying. Gettin' old guys and I sure appreciate your inputs to my questions.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, if your shock absorber is still intact, then you have another problem. Worn spots on the flat sides of your drive shaft shouldn't cause it to sieze up and stop running:eek:

I learned that tig welding the pieces together on the shock absorbers halves is a good way to go. Unfortunately, this is the only design flaw of these old motors. Same thing on the old 7.5's too.:rolleyes: