Can i convert a shear pin shaft to spline shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

utopian

Cadet
Hi
I have 'inherited' a 1970's Evinrude Ski Twin 40 Hp outboard with a shear pin propeller - the problem i have is trying to get a new shear pin drive propeller as all now seem to be splined shaft.

The question i have is - is there a splined shaft that could replace my shear pin shaft or will this be harder than trying to find a new prop or have the prop refurbished.

anyone any suggestions ??

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can i convert a shear pin shaft to spline shaft

that 40hp family was never made with a splined shaft. 76 was the last year because the new 35hp with thru-hub exhaust outperformed it in all aspects according to OMC

CATransplant

Admiral

Actually, those props are easy enough to find. Here on iboats and at your dealer. Ebay is full of them, too. The Ebay ones need a little skepticism, since some have spun hubs, but there are lots of good ones. I got one for my old RDS-20 for $12 plus shipping and it was in perfect shape. Used it as a spare. By the time I sold the outboard, I had about six props, including a lovely bronze one, just for show.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Agreed. Those props were built by the trainloads, as well as all the different motors that took them. Shear pins (or drive pins) should be easily obtainable through any marine dealor or here at iBoats.:cool:

col681

Cadet

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I think iboats have messed up the prices on this :eek:

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Ev..._12.00-Pitch_Propellers/43/?*******=689819238

?6830 for a prop, sounds reasonable enough lol

They're out of stock so I have to ask which one of you kind members are buying them all up :D

On a serious note though, I need to purchase one (for a tad cheaper) if anyone has one in their shed drop me a PM

Thanks

Fastfreddie

Recruit
Hey guys. Yea I have converted takes some machining but it works simply. I tried to post pics but inoatfourms suck

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey guys. Yea I have converted takes some machining but it works simply. I tried to post pics but inoatfourms suck

Old thread, over 7 years old in fact.

If the forum sucks, why did you join? I guess it's a waste of time to ask you to read the Help Tip on top of the page.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.