63 johnson 5.5 spark

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer
Neighbor just got a 14' grumman with this old girl, and it looks like it's worth saving. Having spark issues though. Wires and boots were corroded. so far i have done the following. Compression is at 96 psi per cyl. Took the flywheel off, and inspected. one coil was cracked, so that was replaced. Other coil looks new no cracks or damage whatsoever. Replaced both coil wires with 7mm metal core plug wire. lightly Sanded points. put back together and saw spark on one of the 2 leads once. Otherwise, i am not seeing any. condensors and points appear to be in good shape and not burnt, and generally they don't fail correct? Im thinking it could somehow be out of time maybe?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 63 johnson 5.5 spark

Gap points at .020 with the cam rider aligned with the crankshaft keyway.

CLEAN the points. Some debris from your sanding may be preventing good contact. I use an index card with a bit of carb cleaner or lacquer thinner on it.

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

sorry.. Im showing my inexperience here..I should line the Cam rider index mark with the Crankshaft key then set points? I have to spin the crankshaft to gap the points, so how would this work? Im apparently not getting it..I do have the original manual for it, but it's a condensed service and parts breakdown..Not complete enough on the parts definitions

kbait

Commander

Gap points at .020 one set at a time. Align one set's rub mark w/cam key and set. Put in gear, spin prop halfway to get the other point set aligned, and gap that one. Before you hook the wires back to the pointset, use an ohm meter and check for continuity between both sides of points when closed. Snap open and closed a few times and check again. If you get 001 everytime, you're points are good to go.

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

Well.. This was unusual. It appears to me that the old coil had cracked and Shorted out. saw the black short marks under the old coil thick with material.I believe this created some sort of Smoky Epoxy film that coated the points with crud. I cleaned them once, but it required a really good filing and chemical clean before they were truly clean. Spark is snappy, and she's a runner! Thanks.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I often take those armeture plates completely apart and clean them up real nice and replace all the components. Then there's a spark strong enough to knock a bull elephant on his ***.:D:D:D