Plugging transom holes

danny9696

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all I have an 89 Bayliner 1901 with a 125 Force, I am replacing it with a 1997 120 force, problem is my boat has the old force threw transom bolt holes and the new engine has the mercury style hole pattern so I need to plug the old holes and drill new ones for the new engine. I thought at first I could use a jack plate but the back of my boat sticks out about half the distance of my engine and my steering shaft moves into a cup sort of thing in the side of my swim platform

Can anyone give me a good way to plug these holes PLEASE

Thank you all

Danny

ddurfee

Recruit
Re: Plugging transom holes

there are two ways

1. after bolts are removed rough up interior of hole with sand paper and then use an epoxy resin to to seal up the fiberglass, then fill with a marine caulk

2. use a 3m 5200 (or something similar) to seal up the hole.

The main idea is to prevent water from seeping into the fiberglass and delaminating the transom. I prefer West System Epoxy- it is strong and wont crack or peel as long as the surface is prepped well. ( I used it to repair Skis at a ski Shop, very strong and flexible)

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Plugging transom holes

3. Coat a dowel that is slightly smaller in diameter than the hole with epoxy, insert, let dry, finish with sealant to smooth out the surface if necessary.