West Marine RIB

Knotty 30

Cadet
Need your help. My 2 year old RIB was very heavy. Turns out that water got inside the hard fiberglass floor. I was able to drain it out through the drain plug (inside drain) but I have no idea how the water got in. Any one experience this or has any advice. Thanks!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: West Marine RIB

Normal for any boat with a double bottom...It's the rate at which it gets the water that determines whether or not you have an issue.

Knotty 30

Cadet

Thanks GURU. There was alot of water in the floor, but I had never drained it in 2 years. I will monitor the water.

dazk14

Ensign

1st obvious, check the condition of the inner hull plug seal.

Less obvious, check the plug base/mount. I have seen them poorly bedded to the glass allowing bilge water to seep in. If needed, remove 2 screws, clean up mating surfaces, 3m 4200.

Is outboard through bolted transom. Some transoms are hollow and water can seep in around the bolts.

chirkowatson

Cadet

Well the difference between a RIB and an inflateable is only the hull structure, The RIB stands for RIGID INFLATEABLE BOAT, which means it has a one piece hull and inflateable tubes either side of it, whereas an inlateable craft can be deflated and packed away into the boot of your car, with the floorboards in either many sections or wooden in usually 3 or 4 sections depending on the size of your craft, any inflateable would be capable of crossing the 2 mile stretch of water you mention, providing you have a decent outboard and always carry a spare, & plenty of fuel, as well as life jacket and flares which not to forget your phone either, but always remember weather conditions can change at a moments notice which without warning, so sailor beware and proceed with caution & lastly always check the weather forecast before you embark on your journey !

dazk14

Ensign

Cadet, have you been dipping into the sauce again? ;)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

It's a good idea from time to time if rib is out of water or resting on a trailer to raise bow and open hull water plug to check if water is inside hull, clean mating surfaces, apply a light coat of silicone grease to tampon, tight screw well.

Happy Boating