Need some opinions on kicker setup

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
My kicker plate is to close to my main motor. I lose quite a bit of turn radius to the port side because the big fat 60hp hits the kicker. Thinking about moving the plate over a few inches (where the black outline is). Does any one see a problem with this. It is a riveted boat, and I was gonna put a backing plate of some kind on the inside. Will be mounting a johnson 9.9 short shaft on.

714ccn.jpg

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: Need some opinions on kicker setup

You might have problems tilting the kicker up from the new position. If that's not an issue for you then should be all good.

Moving the weight of a 9.9 to the port like that might mean having to shuffle some stuff around onboard to compensate. Also remember your hull is not as deep at the edges and you will have less of the kicker leg in the water.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The set back on the plate didn't allow me to tilt it any way. I can lift it up pretty easy and get it out of the way though. And my plate only has up or down and drops pretty low, which is why I want to put my 9.9 on there. With my low profile 9.5 I couldn't lean over the boat without putting the exhaust in the water and I couldn't see the exhaust to make sure it water was pumping. My biggest concern was the closeness to the seam.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure i'd go quite that far... but that is just my two cents. I'd just look at how much meat you have in the transom there, and reinforce. You should be fine.

T

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

That far over was my concern as well but with the stern eye where its at it's my only option other than move everything (eye and kicker plate).

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

We can't see the inside, but you can move it anywhere you want if it can be bolted to the transom and it will work, moving it that far over will mean the boat won't turn as easily to the left though.

I would move it over only to the point where the big motor doesn't hit it and reposition the transom eye, but I don't ski or pull tubes.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

You may be right ondavr. If I move the eye and move the right kicker holes to the left I may have enough room and save drilling a few holes. I only use the eye for tie downs so it can go anywhere close I guess. Have to tear it apart tommorow.