Help !!! Gimbal bearing is kicking my a$&

88sunrunner

Cadet
I have a 88 sun runner and had a small leak throug the bellows , so I figured I. Could chang the bellows and bearing myself WRONG
I have tried a 10 lb slap hammer , taping around the bearing with a chisle and using a mapp gas torch to heat up the gimbal housing around the bearing and trying again and again for two days to no avail
so I was reading on this forum about the gimble removing tool with the plate that goes on to the four bolts in the back and didn't want to buy the tool so I figured I would hire a local guy with the tool to remove the bearing and finish the job ... You know I just want to get my boat in the slip and let the summer begin
the guy came over with his fancy gimbal bearing removal tool and said he's seen em all ... Lol .. Until this one . The end of the tool just shattered leaving the bearing right where it was
now the question is what now??? What do I have to do to get this thing out short of pulling the motor and changing the housing ??HELP my wife wants to kill me :(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help !!! Gimbal bearing is kicking my a$&

Can you take a nice clear picture of the gimbal bearing.

88sunrunner

Cadet

It's dark out now but I will in the morning , a lot of people keep telling me NOT to drill holes in it , but I hav e read on here that I should try drilling out the center of the bearing and then the outer ring will come out easy
should I try this ? Or just wait for the guy to come back with anew tool
The funny thing is the bearing still spins in the middle after all of this

88sunrunner

Cadet

I'm up in rhode island and this is my first boat ,I am not enjoying it so far

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... What kinda Drive,..?? Saltwater boat,..??

88sunrunner

Cadet

5.7 alpha 1 1988 , saltwater probobly never changed in the past

88sunrunner

Cadet

45 auto , I rented the rear axle bearing puller from the auto parts store , just need to come up with the rest of that set up and I will try again tomorrow
thank you for pointing out that thread hope it works

88sunrunner

Cadet

Came up with the rest of that set up and she slid right out !!!
Thanks for the direction to that link 45 that's definitly the way to do this job

45Auto

Commander

Glad it worked out for you, thanks for posting back and letting us know. Hopefully you can enjoy your smooth-running boat this summer!