Boat Stereo

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Caught this starting in another thread and figured it'd make a good topic.

How big is your boat stereo and what kind of local etiquette is involved it its volume?

I have 2 independantly amplified 10" subwoofers and 4 amplified component crossovers off a MP3/Bluetooh player.... it can hold its own quite well. If we are anchored near alot of other boaters I try to mind the volume so I dont force my musical preference on them. Yet as the crowd thins or we get under way the knob goes right... unless the warden is nearby.

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat Stereo

Stereos follow the same rules of etiquette as, let me see now... every other thing in the world.

You don't let your kids, dogs, music or your smell get where it bugs other people, just like you don't want others people kids, dogs, music or smell bugging you.

If other people can hear it above a low level, you turn it down.
If you like music that drops the swears, you listen to something else or turn it WAY down so no one else has to hear it.

Easy Squeezy.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I agree^^^

Also my hat is off to you for at least caring enough to ask

I don't see anything wrong with turning it up if you are 1/4 mile away from others and passing through but if you could turn it off and shout to another boater then it's time to turn it down

If you and a couple buddies raft up in some secluded cove with no houses campgrounds or other boaters and want to crank it up (within reason) I say go for it.... If I come along looking for quiet I'll just go somewhere else..... just don't claim the only beach or half of a tiny lake for partying...... Also keep in mind that on a dead calm lake a little 50 watt stereo can carry for MILES so turn it down in the evening as boating traffic dies down

CATransplant

Admiral

Caught this starting in another thread and figured it'd make a good topic.

How big is your boat stereo and what kind of local etiquette is involved it its volume?

I have 2 independantly amplified 10" subwoofers and 4 amplified component crossovers off a MP3/Bluetooh player.... it can hold its own quite well. If we are anchored near alot of other boaters I try to mind the volume so I dont force my musical preference on them. Yet as the crowd thins or we get under way the knob goes right... unless the warden is nearby.

It's interesting that you mention the "warden." So, the reality is that you know you stereo is too loud, and that it violates some law or regulation in that place. Do you not find that to be a problem?

Here's the deal: You have the right to listen to any music you wish. You do not have the right to insist that others listen to your music, though. I probably don't like your music, and I'm quite certain you do not like mine. The difference is that I will never subject you to my music. If I want to listen to it in a place where others are, I put on my headphones.

When you share space with others, you have an obligation to take their preferences into consideration. That's how society gets along. I promise not to bombard you with my favorite music. I'll thank you to do the same.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's interesting that you mention the "warden." So, the reality is that you know you stereo is too loud, and that it violates some law or regulation in that place. Do you not find that to be a problem?

Here's the deal: You have the right to listen to any music you wish. You do not have the right to insist that others listen to your music, though. I probably don't like your music, and I'm quite certain you do not like mine. The difference is that I will never subject you to my music. If I want to listen to it in a place where others are, I put on my headphones.

When you share space with others, you have an obligation to take their preferences into consideration. That's how society gets along. I promise not to bombard you with my favorite music. I'll thank you to do the same.

Wow... just wow. It was a tounge in cheek comment to avoiding confrontation with the law. What the heck is going on with some people on iboats lately. Ive read alot of threads where people just out right attack someone for a sarcastic comment or general question. Chill out. Read my post, I mentioned my concern for others with my radio volume... sometimes though people are overbearing, easily offended, and complain for no reason.. for that they make a volume knob.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Luckily it's not a problem around here. Most of the boat owners are boaters--out enjoying the peace and quiet of the water rather than looking for a party. background music is turned down so you can hear the VHF. even the few party barges, adn the yachts and cruisers, keep it down.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

You don't let your kids, dogs, music or your smell get where it bugs other people, just like you don't want others people kids, dogs, music or smell bugging you.

outstanding! so many folk never heard of the "golden rule"

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I believe California will pass the same law for on the water as they have for cars.
If it can be heard more than 25 feet away it a viloation.

It a shame as 90 percent or more of the boater pass by and you have no idea they even have a radio playing.

Then their the few that have all their speakers mount 6 feet or higher above the boat on rack and you can here them coming for miles. If they see it bothering someone they turn it up more instead of down.

Right now Partrol boat only tool is to board the vessel and do a full saftey inspection and test for Alcohol on the driver. Last year State parks put in a new rule. No Alcohol if your boat is tied to a shore or touching shore. Also no Alcohol on any of the shore line. So a Few have managed to take away the right of the 90 percent who had a couple and did not bother anyone.

This mostly came out of the number of fights and number of law enforcements officers required to keep the peice. After this new state park rule was posted the lake changed totally. Lots more families and far fewer loud stereos and very young drunks. For the first few weeks they tripled the number of officers and would have two or three patty wagon ready. Almost like a war the first week.

Most of the trouble maker moved down to the rivers. One river that is a popular rafting area now has a alcohol ban on the main summer 3 day holidays. Reson for that was too many fights and too many drowning. On the summer holidays they will aresst hundreds as they will have a check point along the river somewhere.

Again it a shame that all loose their right to drink at all because of a few Young Drunks.

http://www.folsomlakemarina.com/alcohol.html

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it can be heard more than 25 feet away it a violation.

I would love to see how they worded this law or ordinance. And is it limited to stereos or all noise -- including conversation?

A lively conversation in a boat can be 80 decibels (dB) at three feet. At 6 feet it's 74dB. At 12ft = 68dB. And at 25ft it's just under 62dB. 62dB is loud enough to be heard at 25 feet.

OTOH, a loud car stereo with subwoofers can easily reach 130dB. (Which is loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage in just a few minutes!)

At 3 feet = 130dB. 6ft = 124dB, 12 = 118, 25 = 112, 50 = 106, 100 = 100, 200 = 94, 400 = 88, 800 = 82, 1600 = 76, 3200 = 70 ... and at 6400 feet the stereo is playing at 64dB.

The stereo from more than one mile away is louder than the conversation at 25 feet. Food for thought.

skargo

Banned

Wow... just wow. It was a tounge in cheek comment to avoiding confrontation with the law. What the heck is going on with some people on iboats lately. Ive read alot of threads where people just out right attack someone for a sarcastic comment or general question. Chill out. Read my post, I mentioned my concern for others with my radio volume... sometimes though people are overbearing, easily offended, and complain for no reason.. for that they make a volume knob.

Not sure why you jump him, it was a silly question after all. ;)

You KNOW the answer. Best of luck.

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why does everyone think they need a radio to make them deaf? Trust me it's no fun.

ziggy

Admiral

Why does everyone thing they need a radio to make them deaf?
everyone dosen't.
i used to be into loud music. when i was younger it was great. led zepplin, stones, crank it up ya know. now that i'm old(er) the loud music has drifted to the wayside. i like background music now. something i can talk to others over. maybe even no music at all. listen to nothing which is getting to be rare now a days to have no sound what so ever. (to many people, to much population) as i've gotten older, i now take into consideration others feeling too. when i was young, not so much. i mean, who don't like the who cranked up to full volume. anyways, i think the loud music is a young folks thing. to old(er) folks, it's just annoying.

as for my boat, i have 4x50 watts into 4 ea. 6.5'' speakers. plenty loud. when i'm around others, the volume is down. at night the volume is way down.
maybe once in a blue moon i'll turn it up a little if no one is around. but nothing like i used to. now that i'm old(er)... ;)

younger folks don't understand that the stick out behavior also just brings the man down on you. + if it gets bad enough the man just makes new laws ya gotta abide by. there's too many laws now. i don't want or need any more. it's just easier to get along and work with others than to have to make a new law so some gung ho park enforcement officer can bring the wrath of the state down on ya...

I just installed a boat stereo this spring. When I was considering the purchase, I went through the range of questions about what I wanted and what I needed. I'd love to go bombing across the lake listening to my favorite songs. Then I thought about how easy it is to hear sounds when on the water. When you're on shore, you can hear voices from boats across the lake and it sounds like they're 10 feet away. That made me decide that I only needed a stereo that could provide the tunes while I was stationary. Blasting music while I'm on plane just seemed rude to everyone else, whether I could see them (on a boat) or I couldn't (relaxing on their property, hidden by the trees).

One thing to keep in mind too, is that most people go onto lakes for tranquility. Nobody goes onto a freeway for tranquility, so I think that extra concern and compassion should be taken for others while on the water.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

On bodies of water filled with 30 ft fountains, scarabs with through-hull exhaust and loud as anything 2 stroke outboards, stereos are, in comparison not really that big of a deal, IMO.

It's like getting mad at one neighbor at home for his loud stereo and then having no issue with the other neighbor mowing his lawn...some people just have 'pet peeves' that, IMO is more personal problem than anything.

That being said, I try to be as courteous as possible, whenever possible. But some people, you guys will never please. :)

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I just installed a boat stereo this spring. When I was considering the purchase, I went through the range of questions about what I wanted and what I needed. I'd love to go bombing across the lake listening to my favorite songs. Then I thought about how easy it is to hear sounds when on the water. When you're on shore, you can hear voices from boats across the lake and it sounds like they're 10 feet away. That made me decide that I only needed a stereo that could provide the tunes while I was stationary. Blasting music while I'm on plane just seemed rude to everyone else, whether I could see them (on a boat) or I couldn't (relaxing on their property, hidden by the trees).

One thing to keep in mind too, is that most people go onto lakes for tranquility. Nobody goes onto a freeway for tranquility, so I think that extra concern and compassion should be taken for others while on the water.

This is exactly the rationale I have and wonder why few others don't think these exact things on this topic. When at our camp on the water, we could hear people talking at camps across the lake. I base all of my noise decisions based on this fact.

It all comes down to respect for others. If you have an egocentric attitude, no amount of reasoning will make you respect anyone else. Who knows, maybe little Jimmy stole their box of apple juice when they were in preschool and they think everyone should be punished as a result.

skargo

Banned

This is exactly the rationale I have and wonder why few others don't think these exact things on this topic. When at our camp on the water, we could hear people talking at camps across the lake. I base all of my noise decisions based on this fact.

It all comes down to respect for others. If you have an egocentric attitude, no amount of reasoning will make you respect anyone else. Who knows, maybe little Jimmy stole their box of apple juice when they were in preschool and they think everyone should be punished as a result.

Yep, great post! It's one thing to have a "go fast" blast by, the sound is gone in minutes. We have TONS of them around here. But to be sitting at anchor and having someone a 1/2 mile away cranking their music which may or may not be everyone else's favorite is rude. I love loud rock and roll, but I go to concerts, or stay home(no neighbors nearby) because I respect my fellow man!

cribber

Lieutenant

Mine came with a 35 watt JVC stereo and I don't think I've ever turned it on out on the water. When running WOT all I can hear is the wind, water, and the motor which is sweet music to me!

PDubs

Seaman

Our marina has a rule that's basically if you can hear it four slips down, it's too loud. Seems to be VERY tolerant rule if you ask me, hopefully they lock it down some if it gets out of hand.

On the water, I'd say anything goes but use your better judgement. :)

CATransplant

Admiral

I quit boating on the weekends a couple of years ago. The last Saturday when I tried to go fishing at my favorite lake, it was impossible. Between the jet skis cutting close to other boats and the wakeboarding boats blasting rap music which was a continuous stream of f-this and f-that, the under-30 set had driven everyone else off the lake.

I wonder what lake the families go to. The one I was at was not family friendly in any way.