PLEASE HELP!?! 1951 Seahorse TN 27

440racer

Seaman Apprentice
I have a problem with the recoil starter on my Seahorse. I took the recoil assembly off to clean and lubricate it to begin using the motor again. Somehow, now that it is cleaned and lubricated the arms that are supposed to pivot inwards to grab the flywheel are not pivoting as they should.

There is a brass colored ring in the assembly that is held in place on the recoil wheel by a type of collar and this ring has 3 small springs that attach to each of the pivots. This brass ring also has a spring on the bottom that I believe is the problem. I can't determine if the spring on the inside of the brass ring is supposed to lift the ring to cause enough friction on the collar to make the ring rotate and pull the pivots out to engage the flywheel or if the spring in question is supposed to be stopped by a tab on the recoil wheel and somehow rotate the ring and pull the pivots.

To sum up the problem: after lubricating and reassembling the recoil assembly, the pivots don't pivot.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to take my brother from out of town fishing in two days and won't be able to if I can't get the motor started.

Thanks in advance.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: PLEASE HELP!?! 1951 Seahorse TN 27

Just guessing there may be some sort of friction device or centrifigal assembly that operates the pawls.
Perhaps you over lubed or didn't thighten/assemble things right.

440racer

Seaman Apprentice

I think friction device is the answer. I put a rubber band around the collar to see what happened and it appeared to work. I know the rubber band won't last so I'll try some other material and see what happens.

If anyone knows it this is the right or wrong approach your input would be appreciated.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you invert the center collar and then slide the center hub through it, you can slide the spring OVER the step on the hub. Then put the hub/collar assembly in place, aligning the pin (if it has one). After the hub is in place, then attach the springs to the collar...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yep, what Chinewalker said. The equalizer ring and friction spring have to be pre-assembled on the step of the spindle. Then the whole assembly is inserted in to the rope pulley without knocking the equalizer ring off the spindle. In that case, start over.

Attachments

• Simplex Starter Equilizer Spring.jpg
    Simplex Starter Equilizer Spring.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0