1965 evinrude lark 7 40hp W/ electronic shift

robee2canoby

Cadet
Hello
I have a 1965 evinrude lark 7 40hp W/ electronic shift and i'm looking for some wiring diagrams, There is a harness coming from the motor but it is not conected to anything, also i have a box with solenoid and regulator. I dont know how to hook it all up but if i could get some diagrams, color codes or links to them that would be great!!!!!!!
Also i'm looking for the color code for the hook up for electric shift

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 1965 evinrude lark 7 40hp W/ electronic shift

I don't know if anyone has a wiring diagram for that one that they can post here. Head to your local library and see if they don't have a repair manual that includes your outboard. It should have a wiring diagram you can use for reference. Even better, buy your own service manual for that model right here on iboats. I wouldn't even start on rewiring that engine without the proper diagrams.

You can find the factory service manual for your outboard ($50) at this link:

http://www.iboats.com/Evinrude-40-h...0569146--**********.273708070--view_id.439058

One important thing to remember: Don't just go hooking things up willy-nilly. 12v through the magneto coils will burn things up instantly. Wait until you get your wiring diagram, then follow it carefully. If the remote solenoid box isn't already connected to the wiring harness, there's a lot of connections with that outboard. It's easy to mess things up if you don't know what you're doing.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Hello
I have a 1965 evinrude lark 7 40hp W/ electronic shift and i'm looking for some wiring diagrams, There is a harness coming from the motor but it is not conected to anything, also i have a box with solenoid and regulator. I dont know how to hook it all up but if i could get some diagrams, color codes or links to them that would be great!!!!!!!
Also i'm looking for the color code for the hook up for electric shift

PM (Private Message) me with your email address and I'll send you the wiring diagram.

tsmith4ua

Recruit

I'm in the same boat (forgive the pun). I also could use that wire diagram if you don't mind. I have just started re-wiring the ignition and accessories on my 15' FeatherCraft and I don't have the first clue how to adapt the wiring harness to the very basic ignition switch. (There are more wires than I know what to do with) Any help you could grant me would be appreciated!

robee2canoby

Cadet

Private Message me with your email address and I'll send you the wiring diagram.

robee2canoby

Cadet

I got my boat all wired up, started it and gas is pissing out of the carb. any suggestions??????????
Also the electric shift works in forward but when you put it in reverse it dies.
Can someone help me please!!!!!!!

lindy46

Captain

Stuck carb float would cause gas to run out of the carb - a carb cleaning/rebuild is in order. What do you mean it dies in reverse? The motor stops? Or it just goes nowhere in reverse?

robee2canoby

Cadet

the motor cuts out and dies
I cleaned out the carb, the float was sticking, now its free and gas is still pissing out

lindy46

Captain

Must be a bad needle which lets gas get by even when the float is up. Did you replace that needle? Or the float is not adjusted correctly. Something must be wired wrong on the shift mechanism. Check to make sure wire going to forward is green and reverse is blue. In neutral, no power goes to the shift solenoids. Even so, there is nothing that would cause the motor to cut out when you shift into neutral unless there is a short somewhere or the kill wires are somehow wired into the shift circuit.

robee2canoby

Cadet

I did not replace the needle, I played around with the adjustment of the needle but no change. I dont see anywhere in there to adjust the float or even if you can adjust it.
will have to check out the wiring for the shift, maybe i hooked it up wrong to the shifter that is all that it can be wrong right?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I did not replace the needle, I played around with the adjustment of the needle but no change. I dont see anywhere in there to adjust the float or even if you can adjust it.
will have to check out the wiring for the shift, maybe i hooked it up wrong to the shifter that is all that it can be wrong right?

Do not run it again until you get the shift wiring straightened out. If voltage is applied to both wires at once, it tries to go into fwd and reverse at the same time and you'll break some very expensive parts.

lindy46

Captain

Float is adjusted by bending the arm of the float - it should be pretty much parallel with the carb body. The needle that may need replacing is the needle that the float arm rides on. It should move up and down easily as the float moves up and down. When the float is up, that needle should be closed so no gas can get through.

robee2canoby

Cadet

I had it hooked up right so I unhooked the wires to the motor at the shifter, So i will not damage anything. I think that there is a problem in the shift switches, did not have time to take it apart and check it out but i did test it with a test light and something is not right. I'm going to check it out, it probably wont be until monday, will let you know how it goes.
lindy46 about the carb,
The needle that i was playing with was the rich, lean adjustment
I think you have the wrong carb in mind, my float is not on an arm and doesn't ride on an arm. It goes up and down attached to a spring on a pivet

I will post some pics of it if that can help

CATransplant

Admiral

In the first place, that site does not have the factory service manual for the outboard in question...only the parts book. In the second place, iboats.com, the company that supports this forum sells factory service manuals for that outboard. We try to do all we can to support the sponsor of this forum. We don't normally support its competitors.

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

the float needle lindy was refering to is inside the bowl of your carb ,under that arm of the float,a little clip should be attached to the top of the needle to the float,,,if that needle tip doesnt seat good,due to wear or trash or whatever,,the flow of fuel will keep coming into your carb,until that needle seats properly it will flood and spit out fuel,,,definitely get a manual,i got a seloc here on iboats around 35,its good but not as good as factory serv man for a lil more change,,you will def need it if youre going to do the work yourself and youre not an expert,,,im def not an expert and found my manual to be good as gold,,anyways,it got me going,good luck to you

robee2canoby

Cadet

I have a service manual, carb kit and electric shifter on its way,Should be here by next week. So for now I'm on hold until my parts get here. Hopefully that fixes everything!!!!!!
Will keep informed on the progress
Thanks again for all the information, been a great help!!!!!!!