Spark plug price

c03camson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
AC 41-993 spark plug is what calls for my merc 5.0mpi and most every place I have found the price of each plug to be $15-$20. On Summit racing the plug is $6.25. The part number is the same, would there be any difference of whether or not its a car or boat engine?? Thanks

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Spark plug price

if the plug number is the same on the box and plug, then it is the same plug. Nothing other than capitalism at it's finest.

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man those are some expensive plugs even the ones at $6.25 each! Most be made with pure gold connectors. I really like my AC MR43T Plugs then at $2.07 each.

zbnutcase

Commander

SO sick of people whining about the cost of boating.

robert graham

Admiral

Harbor Freight Tools, handy dandy spark plug sand blaster for $18, pays for itself over and over. My 1999 Yamaha still got the original plugs and they look like new. Use it for all plugs, lawnmower, weedeater,etc., etc....

CATransplant

Admiral

SO sick of people whining about the cost of boating.

Whining? Why pay twice the price or more if it's available elsewhere for less? That's not complaining. The OP is just wondering if it's the same item.

Now, you may have stacks of $100 bills lying around, but most of us have to watch our expenses, whether it's boating or something else. Where there are less expensive sources for things, it allows us to spend more time on the water.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I've got a stack of C-notes, but I still shop around for Great Pricing...

Much to Don's dismay, 90% of my Marine parts come from Napa, as my local store "Likes" me...
'ell,... I bring in enough business, they sell to me, cheaper than many resale outlets...

Cptkid570

Ensign

I think a general concensus of Iboat's forums is that the people on here (especially in the repair & maintenance or the restoration sections) are do-it-yourself types. And, I'd think that a lot of types like that do care about prices.

As much as I do enjoy working on my boat, if I had money flowing out of my pockets, I'd probably buy a newer and nicer boat and pay someone else to maintain it.

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Exactly.

I bought my 1988 boat because I couldn't afford to go buy a NEW one. Now I'm learning to do the work on it myself because it's cheaper than paying a boat shop mechanic. And even then, I have to prioritize and repair/replace as our budget allows. So I'll be shopping around at NAPA and a few other places for spark plugs.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

While you're at NAPA, ask to set up a commercial account. I did that, even without a business license. All I did was fill out the paper work and now I get between 10-15% off parts! Also (fringe benefit), if you do have anything that resembles a business address, they'll deliver free!

180shabah

Rear Admiral

same PN = same plug

FWIW - anybody who send me $100 will recieve personal appologies every time I complain about the cost of boating. PM for mailing address.

Dryon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

QUOTE 180shabah "same PN = same plug"

Not true......NGK makes plugs with the same PN that are different. The difference is the terminal type. An example is BR8ES which comes with a solid or threaded terminal with the same PN. I bought them at a marine & they were solid...Bought them at an auto store & they were threaded.

z284u2try

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not true......NGK makes plugs with the same PN that are different. The difference is the terminal type. An example is BR8ES which comes with a solid or threaded terminal with the same PN. I bought them at a marine & they were solid...Bought them at an auto store & they were threaded.

Ok I see but what is the actual functional difference. I run this plug in my ski sometimes they are solid and sometimes they are threaded

Dryon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I see but what is the actual functional difference. I run this plug in my ski sometimes they are solid and sometimes they are threaded

Solid is best for a marine environment & spark output, due to possible corrosion/resistants at threaded teminals.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally Posted by Dryon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ayuh,... Then it breaks down to Lot #s of the part #......
Donno Why they'd run different connectors as the same part #...

Btw,... The ONLY Functional difference I can think of it,...
I've seen plug wire connectors that fit tightly onto the threaded portion, without the screw-on piece....
Snowmobiles,+ Dirtbikes come to mind,... Harsh environments,+ vibratation stuff...
But,...
Other than That, the motors would be Happy either way....