Volvo 280 outdrive tilt problem

Privatear

Cadet
Hi,

First posting, pleasure to join you.

I have a Volvo Penta 175A with 280 outdrive on a Fairline Weekend (1984). I am unable to tilt the drive up because the shaft is stuck full-up. The boat has been in the water over the winter and the tilt not operated for 6 months (lesson learnt! - did run the engine every couple of weeks).

The relays, motor etc work okay. I have removed the relay box. Is it okay to now just unscrew the brass outer casing to access, rotate and grease the shaft? Suspect it hasn't been done for years.

Because of a tight budget I need to try and solve this problem with the boat in the water. Bottom of brass casing is 75mm (3 in.) above the w/l.

Would appreciate any advice.
Regards / Privatear

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo 280 outdrive tilt problem

so you're sure everything else works? You removed the motor and it ran forward an backwards?

here's the parts breakdown for reference.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Mechanical-Lift-Device-Aq-Drive-Unit-280-Late-Type/dm/*******.418963066--**********.958062148--store_id.366--view_id.327367

If so, I'd unscrew the top cover (#4) of the tilt mechanism. and see how it looks inside. along with the cover, remove the large spring (#19) and the upper race and bearings (#12).

At this point you should be able to manually screw the top part of the vice rod (#5) up the shaft. Only turn it one full rotation. This should allow you now to tap down on the top of the vice rod to loosen it if it is in fact stuck.

Preferably, I would remove the entire assembly, disassemble, reseal and reinstall but I'm a little worried about doing it with the boat in the water.

Have a look at this thread.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=307304&highlight=275+tilt+mechanism

Privatear

Cadet

Hi captmello,

Many thanks for your advice. Went down to the boat over the Bank Holiday weekend. Fell at the first hurdle I'm afraid. Bought a shiny new 32mm combination spanner (about 400mm long, so big enough) but I cannot budge that cover, rock solid. Kept putting on penetrating oil over 2-3 days but it still won't turn. Could tell that I was beginning to turn the whole assembly so put a small wedge between the tilt motor flange and the transom to stop it twisting.

So, as I just cannot have the boat lifted out at the moment (will have to start saving up!), I guess it's going to have to wait unless there is some trick to release the cover. Did think about using a blow lamp to heat it up but concerned about damage I might do and possible fuel vapour risk.

Thanks again,
Privatear

captmello

Captain

heat could help if you can get a torch in there.:confused: Not too hot!

can you confirm the motor is working correctly? did you remove it and run it both directions with the tilt switch at the helm??

I don't know what else to do...

Privatear

Cadet

Hi captmello,

I must confess I have been a bit reluctant to take out the motor. If you remove the stop switch the motor will turn for up, and then it works in reverse for a bit, then stops. I have perhaps wrongly assumed that means its okay.

Going down tomorrow so will test the motor as you suggest. With a bit of luck the penetrating oil may also have worked its way into the thread.

Thanks again.
Privatear :)

captmello

Captain

overtightening the two bolts that hold the black box to the tilt mechanism can also cause the limit switch to work improperly. They should just be snug to keep the box from moving up and down. It will still spin freely.

Removing the motor is easy, two screws/nuts and its off.

Let us know what you find.:)

Tommywalton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mine was stuck in the drive down position or screw rod all the way up in the lift device. i took it off and completely dismantled it. rod was bent and in a bind. the worm gear set up allows the system to slip if it jams. there is a strong spring that pushes down on the gear system. i bent my rod back straight and filed off the burrs i created reassembled and it works better than ever. now i have electrical problems:mad:

Privatear

Cadet

Hi Tommywalton, :)

I am beginning to wonder if I have a problem with the electric tilt motor (I am assuming that is what you are referring to). I followed captmello?s advice (thank you) and took the tilt motor off. Tested it with a direct 12v supply and it worked fine in both directions.

I also put the end of a file in the slot to turn the worm gear and I could turn it in a clockwise direction only (quite hard to turn), after that I could turn it anti-clockwise the same amount. Of course I don?t know if it was actually turning to lower the shaft, or slipping as you say. Any way, I thought, if I put the motor back on and run it with the 12v direct supply then I?ll know if there is a problem with the relays or wiring. But the motor didn?t work at all. So I took it off again and tried with the 12v direct supply and the motor still wouldn?t turn. At that point I thought the motor must now be dead so I gave up and put it back on just in case any water might come in. Joke was I ran the engine for it?s usual fortnightly warm-up, touched the tilt control and the motor did turn for a short while. :confused:

I think the next step is to have the motor tested. I don?t want to spend ?200 on a new one if that?s not the problem. Perhaps a motor can be on its last legs and will work on its own but not under load.

Another idea I had was to make a simple hand crank that I could screw to the motor housing and turn the worm drive by hand. That way I could find out if the shaft is actually lowering or not.

Privatear

captmello

Captain

Hummmm... having the motor tested is a good idea. You want to eliminate the possibilities one by one. When I replaced my tilt motor, it still worked but ran slow and didn't sound very smooth running. I also had a bent vice rod like TommyWalton had. Which is why you need a towing bracket when towing, don't just leave the outdrive supported by the tilt mechanism.

Remember, when the drive is all the way down, the vice rod is fully retracted up into the tilt assembly, presumably hitting the limit switch and preventing the vice rod from breaking through the top of the tilt assembly top cover. Because of this, it should only go one way.

Jumping the motor to the battery while in the boat will bypass the switch at the helm and the relay box and should help to isolate the motor and tilt assembly. But remember, your bypassing the limit switch and could risk damaging the top cover by trying to run the assembly to far in one direction.

I still think it would be a good idea to pull the top cover of the mechanism off to inspect the inside conditions. You could be spinning your wheels with the motor if the mechanism is bad because of corrosion or damage from misuse.

Good luck and keep up informed.:)

Tommywalton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yikes! i didn't think about that mellow i run mine up and down all the time bypassing all wiring and going direct. it slips when it gets to the top (unit down) and when it bottoms out (unit up). it reaches its mechanical limit, and the plate the ring gear is on is under tremendous spring pressure. i forgot to look and see if the rod can physically go up into the box. i always let off the connection when i hear the motor load up and begin to slip. maybe im just lucky or my rod wont go up past the upper limit because the top of the housing is smaller therefor stopping it. anyway the motors are available on e bay for around 100 bucks, made by electrolux. i've seen them for as low as 50 bucks. just search for 270 mech. lift motor. i hope i can put that on here. btw mine was bent with the motor in the up position. i don't understand that.

Privatear

Cadet

Ahoy Mateys,

Well what a plonker I am. The reason the motor ?stopped working? was the fuse in the 12v extension cable had blown! (It?s only 2A as it is for a solar panel). :rolleyes: The motor is fine. And a word of warning I tried running the motor direct from the battery again and forgot to disconnect the solar panel lead. That blew the solar panel control box. :(

So as you say mello it was back to trying to get that housing cover off. Well after another week of 3in1 penetrating oil and heating it up with the blow lamp, that cover would still not move. I hate to say it but I have to give in, it ain?t gonna budge, even whacking the end of the combination spanner with a lump hammer. So that means the boats got to be lifted out; bit of a non-starter at the moment I?m afraid. Need to earn some more readies. At least the boat is moored close to a very peaceful nature reserve and it?s a great escape from London at the weekends.

Thanks for all your advice. Enjoy the season.

captmello

Captain

Sorry to hear the cover wont budge. Those tilt mechanisms are well constructed and will last a long time if maintained correctly and not abused.

What are you doing with the solar Panel?

And BTW, I'm not sure if you can say "Plonker" on this website.:eek::D

If you pull the boat out, let us know. There are other maintenance items you need to do when its out of the water.

As always, let us know what happens.

Privatear

Cadet

Hi Captmello,:)

re. Solar panel, I have 2x 13w solar panels that through the day charge the 113amp auxillary battery enough to run all the electrics incl. 2/3 hrs tv (I know it's a crime to watch TV on a boat, but the Monaco Grand Prix was great). I also have solar lights. Fortunately each solar panel came with a regulator but you can run two panels to one regulator, so I could use the spare.

Re. the word 'pl.....' if you are serious, it must be a cultural difference. The word is used to refer to someone who has done something, or tends to be a bit silly or naive, without being particularly offensive toward them. Guess that sums me up!:D

cheers / privatear

Privatear

Cadet

Hi captmello,

Managed to get the top cover off the tilt mechanism in the end. (Plenty of heat and a beefy box spanner; thread was damaged a bit.) Followed your instructions and managed to lower the screw rod. Motor raised and lowered the drive okay. But it creaked when nearly full down and stuck again. Guess the boat will have to come out to remove the entire tilt mechanism. Possibly the last part of the screw rod is bent/damaged above the pressure plate.:( At least I am able to replace the prop and grease the steering zerk nipple.

Thanks for your help.
Best wishes for the last of the season.

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Privatear,

You are almost there now. There are just 2 screws that fasten that to the transom assembly. I think you could remove it with the boat in the water. I just removed mine (out of the water) but its the same principle. I too had a bent vice rod. I took it to a machine shop and had it bent back to perfect shape. Then I greased it up and put it back together and it was fine. I did have to rebuild the electric motor but I did that after I reinstalled the tilt unit. So I think you probably could remove it, take it home and fix it, then reinstall it on the boat. Just remember to mark your connections.

Kevin

Privatear

Cadet

Hi Kevman,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry didn?t reply earlier, away for 10 days; (Poole Harbour). Not sure that I can remove the tilt mechanism with the boat in the water? It is a good 4-5 inches below the waterline. Wouldn?t there just be a hole for the water to pour in :eek: once the tilt mechanism is removed?

Regards / Privatear :)

captmello

Captain

Hi Kevman,

It is a good 4-5 inches below the waterline. Wouldn?t there just be a hole for the water to pour in :eek: once the tilt mechanism is removed?

Regards / Privatear :)

Yes, don't try it.

Privatear

Cadet

Thanks captainmello, advice heeded ;)
Cheers / privatear

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes. Bad advice on my part. Sorry. I fixed mine after just getting the boat. I had never had it in the water before fixing it. Sounds like the only way then is to get it out of the water. Good luck.