Shurflo Bait Sentry 800 Bait Pump - Sometimes Does Not Spin

gearyg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, I had one of these (Surflow Bait Sentry 800) originally in my boat that lasted 8 years. So I figure to buy the exact one. After I installed it, it worked the first time out and then stopped (I can hear it running, but when I pulled it apart, the motor was running, but the impeller was just standing still). The dealer who sold it to me replaced it instantly.

I then installed the 2nd one. At that same time, a friend called me and his finally died...a Rule. He did not like it so he bought the one that I had, a Bait Sentry 800. I installed mine, been out 2x and then the last time, I turned the pump off to drain the tank, once drained I turned it back on and no water, but I could hear the pump on. I turned the switch on then off, then on, then off...still no water.

I got home and took the top off, laid it horizontally, then turned it on, the impeller was spinning....thats strange. I put it back in the verticle position and the impeller stopped spinning...horizontal again and it was spinning. I repeated this a couple of times until the impeller was spinning in the verticle position. I put my finger on the blades and the resistant did not seem to affect it or stop it.

An hour later, my friend who got the same one calls me with the same problem. So that is 3 in pumps in a row all doing the same thing. I can't figure it out, they are brand new.

Does anyone know what is going on? Anyone with any experience with these? Are these inherently defective?