1989 85HP Force - timing

devl

Seaman
Can someone please tell me the proper way to time this motor? Ive searched all over and there are many conflicting responses. I just replaced the trigger and it backfires and pops. I set the mark on the flywheel to TDC to the block mark and it idles ok but pops at WOT. Ive read you are supposed to time it at WOT or cranking at WOT with a jumper or like 5 other ways. Im a car guy so I get the basics but without a distributor Im kinda lost. Id appreciate any help.

....and absolutely no offense to John or anyone else whos suggests "get a Clymer manual". But this is what the internet is for...free exchange. Id rather have a real world person with first hand knowledge giving me advice then a manual telling me what the manufacturer thinks. I know the manuals maybe helpful to some but Im cynical because Ive read enough Haynes car manuals to know to rely on the person whos 'been there, done that'.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 85HP Force - timing

Did you torque down the flywheel nut to 85 Foot pounds? If not, the key may have been sheared and then you will never be able to time it unless you replace the key.

If that is OK, double check that the correct trigger wires are on the correct terminals and the coil wires are attached 123 top to bottom with top as #1 cylinder.

Once you have verified that the TDC mark on the flywheel is indeed #1 piston TDC, then it is time to set the timing. With the throttle wide open, crank the engine with the plugs out and grounded, and set the screw under the flywheel so that timing is at 28 degrees BTDC. (Make changes in this screw with the engine stopped so you don't paint the flywheel red or join the nine finger club.) This will be the first line to the right in the three line group. Timing SHOULD advance to 30 BTDC (center mark) at wide open running.

FYI: There is a magnet in the hub of the flywheel that passes the trigger coils (internal, you can't see them) and generates a weak electrical pulse to the proper CAPACITOR DISCHARGE box. The CD box then dumps its capacitor stored current into the coil and, of course, when it stops dumping, The magnetic field collapses and the coil fires. MUCH faster magnetic flux build up AND collapse, therefore higher voltage at the plug. Much more precise timing than a distributor. No gap other than the plug gap to jump.

devl

Seaman

Thanks for the response Frank....the flywheel torque should be good as well as the coil wires. Now the trigger wires are another story as it is a used trigger and the previous owner lengthened the wires for his particular setup. We cant see behind the shrink wrap to determine 100% if the color of the wires from the trigger to the terminal block is correct. My setup has 2 trigger wires for each cylinder....is there a way to test for sure which set goes to which cylinder or should I just unwrap the whole thing and verify?

devl

Seaman

Also we have spark on all 3 cylinders so if the trigger wires were wrong wouldnt we be missing a spark on that cylinder?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

No! If the trigger wires were incorrect, either the engine would not start, would start and run poorly, or backfire, depending upon how badly mismatched they were. I doubt that the wires are incorrect, but I needed to cover all bases and added that in-- These engines will run with only two cylinders.

Remember: The triggers simply signal the CD box to dump. The rim magnets and stator charge the capacitors, so anytime the flywheel is turning at cranking speed or better the system will fire the plugs--It doesn't know or care if it is firing the correct plug.

This ignition system is self energising like a magneto and unless the CD boxes are grounded if everything is functional, the engine will fire and run. In this case, you must do something to stop it. That something is to ground the white wire from the CD box. Stop circuit is white to blue to ground through the ignition switch.

devl

Seaman

The engine starts and idles fine...but pops at WOT...so this appears to be an all timing issue, everything else checks out. So that being, I still need the correct procedure to time it with a just a regular car timing light. Not sure if a special light is needed.