Fiberglass over plywood

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe I'm nuts but I just checked resin/glass prices for a casting deck I'm building & I can't justify spending $75.00-$100.00 to protect an $18.00* piece of wood. Maybe if it was something that would be in the water or at least get wetter than than my deck it would make sense to me. Either way I'd have to paint it for color, UV protection & non-slip. I will have build it in just a few hours work time. It will be a removable item. Am I being too cheap?

* I'm only using half of the sheet for the deck so really only $9.00 worth of wood.

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fiberglass over plywood

You can swab some waterproofing liquid on the ply and cover it with some vinyl material for cheeep bucks.

Heck.....save the waterproofing stuff and just apply whatever you want for the non slip factors when wet.
The ply might warp some.....but hey....your on the hunt for cheeep!!!!

Quick, cheeep and easy.....it might last you a few years.

A raised casting deck will not be subject to the constant "getting wet" like flooring and no structural issues should raise their ugly head.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

My main goal is not to be real cheep but to spend not stupidly. I'll paint it with a primer & good paint & it will last for years. I just can't see spending an extra $100.00. I won't put carpet on it cuz carpet holds water & humidity & can't help but shorten the life of wood.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

In small aluminum boats one of the best ways to do it is get some extirior ply, cut it to shape, paint it with a non skid paint of your choice and NOT secure it in place.

This makes it very low in cost, quick and if it ever needs to be done again it only takes a very short time.

In your case you may need to replace it again in 8 years or so if you go the cheap route. Make it easily removable so you can store it indoors during the off season, or when not in use and you may never need to replace it again.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

That's what I was thinking of doing. A couple of C clamps underneath to hold it in place. The boat is fiberglass & I could glass it in permanently but I prefer to leave the boat as close to original as possible & keep it so it can be returned to it's fish-n-ski factory set up. Anything I mount to it I use the existing screw holes. I'm mounting some rod holders using the holes from the rotted bolsters. I did cut a hole for a 12 volt plug though, I look at that as bringing from the 70's to this century.

The boat only cost me $100.00 to buy.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Maybe I'm nuts but I just checked resin/glass prices for a casting deck I'm building & I can't justify spending $75.00-$100.00 to protect an $18.00* piece of wood

I had this same thought when I noticed the rate at which I was going through epoxy. It was suggested to me to that I then add a layer of glass to the top of the deck. I then had your thought again :eek:

Cptkid570

Ensign

Can't you just coat it with some fiberglass resin? A quart of resin is like $10 at your local hardware store. Paint the board with that and it will last.. If you want it non-skid, you could probably just sprinkle some sand on it.

Where are you getting this price from? What type of resin? You should only need a quart..

http://www.iboats.com/Boatyard-Resi...9179676--**********.398347477--view_id.165306

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Just coating the wood with resin is not a good solution, it won't hold up, its more of a waste of time and money. Normal paint will do a much better job.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Can't you just coat it with some fiberglass resin?

No you can't. Poly resin has little strength by itself without any glass and will soon crack. Epoxy, however does. You'd be better off just painting it then coating it with just poly resin.

erikgreen

Captain

Heh... you two.

Just to put my 2 cents in, Sherwin-williams has a nice line of industrial paint that's cheaper than the high end marine paints and some of them can be tinted to a color you like.

I bought a gallon of their pre-catalyzed hi-bild epoxy in gloss white for about $60, and you could get a quart for less than $20.

The stuff is a high build paint, forming a 6 mil layer of protection.. that's not too much less than gel coat. It's an epoxy and waterproofs the wood nicely. You can add sand or another texturing agent for anti-skid.

It'll stick to wood, masonry, concrete, metal, or whatever if properly prepped.

I'm going to paint my bilge with it. Here's a link to the page with S-W's industrial paints... I was also recommended the Tile-Clad paint for bilge use.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/sherwin_williams_paint/sherwin_williams_paints/high_performance/

Erik