water pressure gauge...

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer
1978 johnson 85 hp #85ml78c ok so i found the hollow tube going from my motor to the water pressure gauge. problem is it isnt hooked to anything on the motor... where does that tube hook to? i couldnt find any sort of nipple or anything to hook it to.... thanks guys!

p.s. got my new carbs in the mail today... hooking em up now... woohoo =)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: water pressure gauge...

You will need a nylon "tee" to insert in the overboard indicator line running between the base of the exhaust cover to the lower cowl. You then should run the pressure line to the top of the engine so that water will not fill the tube and air will not enter the engine more than necessary.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

In 1978 OMC began using the telltale on their engines. This telltale was plumbed into the outer exhaust cover at the back of the engine. If you have a 78 model, there should be a hose barb there for the end of the hose. (or maybe a threaded plug) If you don't see a hole for the hose barb, you may have a 77 or older outer exhaust cover on the engine.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

ok ezeke your post confused me lol... no idea what your talking about... emdsapmgr yours makesmore sense the tube is on the port side and the tell tale is on the starboard side to be honest i didnt look startboard side... im talking the dash mounted water pressure gauge next to the tach and speedo. motor is definately a 78 since the number on the engine is stamped 85ml78c "78" is the year "85" is the hp. any pics or links would be helpful. im guessing "barb" is what i call a nipple the tube is not threaded.... thanks again yall.....

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You can see the factory parts lists for your engine on the Bombardier website; epc.brp.com. I suppose it is possible that during the model year changeover that your engine might have had a leftover 1977 outer exhaust cover installed by the factory and yet it received a 78 serial/model number. That outer exhaust cover is easily replaced if you find a used one in a marine salvage yard.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Or, click the thumbnail.

Attachments

• 1978 85.jpg
    1978 85.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0