Prop. Help for 88'Glassport

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OLD PROP.
( Michican Wheel, 031026, 13.75X21, aluminum )

04-26-2010----PROPS001.jpg

CURRENT PROP.
( Michican Wheel, 031024, 14.5X17, aluminum )

04-26-2010----PROPS002.jpg

PICTURES OF BOAT

04-26-2010----PROPS003.jpg

04-26-2010----PROPS004.jpg

04-26-2010----PROPS005.jpg

Thanks for all your help in advance. I posted some pictures too, to possibly help.

1) ISSUES;
Nothing major right now. I started having a real bad time getting to plane out, but have that issue worked out now after installing the Smart Tabs, and removing my whale-tail. I wanted to get a proper WOT on the propellar that came with the boat ( I purchased it on 11-01-2009 ), but I hit something in the water the 1st day out and was unable to do so. When I had it out for the test ride, it felt pretty slow, but the speedo wasn't working & didn't have a GPS hooked up. I mainly want to get the best propellar possible for pulling wakeboarders/skiiers. If I loose some on the top-end, no big deal, because I would rather have a better whole shot to help with getting some bigger people up on the wakeboard. I will have no problem with it now, but not sure if I can get a little more tourque ( so to speak ) for friends. Looking for aluminum, either 3 or 4 blade prob..

2) & 3) CURRENT PROP. & PITCH
When I bought the boat it had a Michican Wheel, 031026, 13.75X21, aluminum ( didn't get any stats with that propellar though )

***Currently has a Michican Wheel, 031024, 14.5X17, aluminum ( this prop. was an extra from my brothers '96 Rinker Captiva, 19' open-bow, 3.0 Mercruiser, Alpha One.

4) WOT / RPM & SPEED @ AVG. LOAD
Engine recommends WOT at around 4,600 I think...
Boat was around 4,900 @ 45mph ( GPS ) with 24 to 28 gallons of fuel & approx. 350 to 400 lbs. additional weight ( me, wife, coolers, gear ) on a pretty smooth lake. Very minimal chop & light wind.

5) ENGINE / DRIVE
It is a 1988 Mercruiser 5.0 / 305CI, alpha one outdrive, 200hp.

6) BOAT
It is a 1988 Glassport 190rx, sport cuddy cabin, 18'8", approx. 2,600 lbs dry weight

THANKS AGAIN!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Prop. Help for 88'Glassport

Boat was around 4,900 @ 45mph ( GPS ) with 24 to 28 gallons of fuel & approx. 350 to 400 lbs. additional weight ( me, wife, coolers, gear ) on a pretty smooth lake. Very minimal chop & light wind.

Ayuh,... Put a 19" on it, the 21" will be Too Big for watersports...

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... Put a 19" on it, the 21" will be Too Big for watersports...

3 or 4 blade ???
13.75 or 14.5 ( don't understand the difference here ) ???
Any particular brand recommended ???
Aluminum is fine ( I would rather ruin a prop. & not the out-drive if I hit something ) ???
I will still keep the prop. my brother gave me for a back-up, but with the RPM's too high at WOT, the paint chipped off & a little beat up, I am wanting to get a new one...
THANKS!

hwsiii

Commander

Attack, that is not a bad prop for your uses, but if you will buy a Solas Amita 4 blade aluminum prop in a 17" pitch you will be extremely happy with the new performance and it is a perfect design for pulling skiers with your boat and it will lower your RPM as well and you should not lose more than about 1 MPH off your top speed.

It will cost you about a $ 120 here at Iboats.

H

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Attack, that is not a bad prop for your uses, but if you will buy a Solas Amita 4 blade aluminum prop in a 17" pitch you will be extremely happy with the new performance and it is a perfect design for pulling skiers with your boat and it will lower your RPM as well and you should not lose more than about 1 MPH off your top speed.

It will cost you about a $ 120 here at Iboats.

H

THANK YOU!
I appreciate the help. Shouldn't I atleast go with an 18" though to get the RPM's down to correct range, or am I thinking wrong??? I am usually the one driving and pay attention to the gauges, but just in case, I do not want my RPM's to be above the recommeded high by too much.
Thanks again...

hwsiii

Commander

Attack, you will lose about 250 RPM with the Solas Amita 17" which you will put you right at maximum RPM, I think you are better off there.

H

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ordered one from IBOATS...
GREAT PRICE!
I can't wait to check her out. I was out today with my boat. The water was still 78 degrees here. I did see 2 different wakeboard boats in it & having fun. A wet or dry suit may be a very soooooon purchase. Thanks again for the help. I will still keep my other prop. as a back-up!

hwsiii

Commander

I would appreciate you giving me your WOT RPM and speed when you get them for my database.

H

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would appreciate you giving me your WOT RPM and speed when you get them for my database.

H

I will...
I just noticed my TYPE-O from my other post.... Water temp. was 57 degrees.

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well...
I got the prop. on, took her for a spin, and you had the right recommendation for my set-up FOR SURE! THANKS!
I had an extra passenger & some extra gear on board, but had less fuel, and the weight was about the same as the test day. The water though, had more chop. It was a much more windy, but had a few smooth spots on the water to take her for a test ride through-out the day.
I went with the Solas, Amita 4, 14.5X17. My hole shot was great. Big improvement. This will help a bunch this summer trying to get some of my slightly heavier, non-experienced friends up on the wakeboard. My WOT was right in the 4,550 to 4,650 range at 41 MPH by the GPS. This speed should get up a couple more MPH's on a little less choppy day though. All-in-all, I am a very happy boater.
On a side note, my Anode didn't have enough clearance with the prop.. I figured since the prop. on it was a 14.5X17 ( 3 blade ), and went with a 14.5X17 ( 4 blade ), there wouldn't be an issue. I ended up taking the anode off, and grinding down abot a 1/4 inch or so off it, in the same lines it was formed, and put it back on the outdrive. It ran fine on the water, but did I ruin this thing when I did this modification to it. It looks real clean, but those are pretty cheap, so if I need to, I can just get a different style of one.
Thanks Again,
Rodger

icarusisaacs

Cadet
I know this thread is 10 years old but I have a question for any other Glassport owners out there. What is the thing that looks sort of like a drain plug I've circled in this pic. I bought a 1988 Glassport 190 rx/cc recently it has this thing but on mine the wire is broken off about 6 inches long and it doesn't stay "locked" even though it appears to be a locking cam type plug of some sort. Any help is appreciated!

icarusisaacs

Cadet
hmmmm... the attachment isn't uploading. Anyway, what I'm talking aboiut is visible in these pics. It's just to the right of the outdrive, towards the bottom. The actual drain plug is directly beneath the gimbal ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.