Anchor once, return several times

RanchDweller

Cadet
How does everyone set anchor leave and return? On a big lake we will set the anchor and throw the entire rope into the water with a floating bouy. Just curious if you stay at a lake for several days, how do you deal with your anchor. Do you pull your anchor up every time you move the boat to ski/fish or do you leave it at the bottom somehow. Thanks.

RanchDweller

Cadet
Re: Anchor once, return several times

Re-anchor?? I would have to anchor 15 times a day?? Doesn't it make sense to set it once and mark it?

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

well for me its not real easy too throw 150ft of chain over-board ,much less unhook it from the windless to do so.

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

reanchor. too many fishing spots.. when first pulling up somtimes throw a line out to see if anything is sturred up..

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if I find an anchor rope and bouy I'll do the boating community a favor and pull it out of the lake.... the anchor and line will be my payment for the service.... keep your anchor on your boat..... If I go through there and foul my props with it I won't be happy... ...

Keep in mind this is NOT the same a a mooring bouy... He said "throw the whole rope" overboard.... that lleaves ALOT of loose rope and also is not a legal mooring

RanchDweller

Cadet

The marked anchor would be just off of a sandy beach near the campground. The anchor would probably be 25' off the shoreline. A boat would only nose into the spot and not catch my rope. The rope does not float, just the marker bouy. This is not a mooring bouy, it would only be used by me and would be in line with several other "parked" ski boats. Take jet ski for example, they leave their little anchors everywhere with a marker bouy.

On a side note, taking someone's equipment is a good way to make someone very unfriendly.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

it's also a good way to teach them a lesson.... when you are gone that space is available to any other boat.... you cannot reserve it for yourself

just because poeple do it does not make it right

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

btw.... I'm not really out to take anyone's equipment.... I also am not one to worry about someone who thinks they want to get "unfriendly" as I am always WELL equipped to repel boarders. The point is that unless you want to buy property and build a dock while paying the proper taxes and fees or apply and pay for a permit for a mooring bouy then you need to pull your anchor and take it with you when you depart or tie it to another boat with an operator who is willing to take responsibility for it while you are gone.... If your abandoned anchor were reported to the water patrol they would likely retrieve it and possibly ticket you

bhammer

Ensign

I for one ended up with an anchor line wrapped around my prop. The person placed the anchor out about 30' and then tied a buoy to the free end. The rope managed to float enough to get caught up. The problem is, you have no idea where the anchor is and where all the line is running.

I ended up with a nice galvanized anchor and buoy. I use that anchor today.

Do other boaters a favor and do not leave it unattended. It is too easy for something to get caught up in someone else's boat....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Looks like a case where someone asks a question and doesn't like the answers.

I say, if you are going to leave your line out, put a full size mooring bouy or something of similar size.

I can't imagine a situation where someone would "reanchor 15 times a day."

What size boat and length line are we talking about? If you are 25' from a sandy beach you might be in 10' of water around here. 150' of line is going to be all over the place away from the float. If it drifts out from the beach, it's about 120' from the anchor and therefore less than 3' under the surface closest to the bouy for quite a while. When I'm navigating around crab pot floats I know to go downstream due to the trailing lines.

Around here, fishermen will untie an anchor and attach a float if they have a big fish on. Other people fishing would watch out for this. usually there aren't a lot of pleasure boaters tooling around who might run over it, and it is purely a temporary measure.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

On a side note, taking someone's equipment is a good way to make someone very unfriendly.

Leaving a float and line in the water that could be run over by another boat or come loose and drift out into the main lake is a good way to make a lot of enemies.

Seems like it's all about what's convienient for you.

scipper77

Commander

I've seen adds for the "power pole" on tv. Instead of an anchor it's a pole that sticks into the ground in shallow water for fishermen. Maybe this would work for you?? Seems like you could deploy this thing 100 times a day if you want.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks! Another idea for my retirement.---- A 'Used Bouy and Anchor store'. Fits right in with my 'coolers and lifejackets found along the interstate' store!

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Is this a serious issue?

Pull your anchor and go have fun.

15 times a day? lets say you boat from 8 am to 8 pm (which is highly unlikely) that means you move your boat more than once an hour.

I'd say you need to get some ADHD meds if that's the case.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also think you should pull the anchor every time you move. If you're in shallow enough water you can use a powerpole or save $1400 and use a stick it pin or wang anchor if you're in 6' or less.

Somethign you could also consider that's a little more useful than a powerpole is a Minn Kota Riptide with the Ipilot option. It does an electronic anchor using GPS. It's a really neat system. I just put it on my boat last weekend but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/accessories/ipilot/saltwater.aspx

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Leaving a float and line in the water that could be run over by another boat or come loose and drift out into the main lake is a good way to make a lot of enemies.

Seems like it's all about what's convienient for you.

I'm surprised at the number of negative comments about this. Where I boat, (pacific northwest), there are always dozens and dozens of crab and prawn floats out on the water.

There isn't a huge problem of boats fowling in the lines because people know to steer clear of them. And if the lines are set properly, trap set on the ocean floor then a weight fixed to the rope and another 20ft of line let out before the buoy, there is no floating line as it is held below by the weight.

I've never heard of anyone setting an anchor float like you described. When a crab/prawn trap is set you must print your last name and phone number on the float. If someone pulls it up and makes off with it, well that's theft.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you also have to have a license and are allowed a certain number of traps..... completely different

bhammer

Ensign

I'm surprised at the number of negative comments about this. Where I boat, (pacific northwest), there are always dozens and dozens of crab and prawn floats out on the water.

There isn't a huge problem of boats fowling in the lines because people know to steer clear of them. And if the lines are set properly, trap set on the ocean floor then a weight fixed to the rope and another 20ft of line let out before the buoy, there is no floating line as it is held below by the weight.

I've never heard of anyone setting an anchor float like you described. When a crab/prawn trap is set you must print your last name and phone number on the float. If someone pulls it up and makes off with it, well that's theft.

In an area like that, boaters are on the lookout for such riggings and pots. In a pleasure lake, it's just not the case. In my situation, I can tell you that I never saw the buoy. Until I was able to pull the boat to the anchor and the the loose end of the line did I figure out what the heck had been done.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

if your anchor and line are better than mine I might pull an old switch-a-roo :D