95 Mariner 75 hp

bramiller310

Cadet
I had to pull the carbs off and take one of them apart cause the float was stuck and it was leaking fuel. So I got this done put everything back together and the fuel has stopped but not the motor will not stay running. When I crank it it will start and idle up real high and then slowly come down and hold at normal idle rpms. When it idles at normal rpms it is running rough and then it will die out. Could I have did something that I am not aware of when I pulled the carbs apart that is making it do this? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I am trying to fix it and sell the whole rig. I am hoping to do this pretty quick. Thanks in advance for the help!

Brandon

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 95 Mariner 75 hp

did you change the needle ? check the float height ?

bramiller310

Cadet

i have tried searching for a manual that would tell me what the height should be and cant find anything. Should I go ahead and change the needle regardless? Do you think it could be a spark plug problem?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

We could think it could be anything. Systematic troubleshooting on your part is how you need to start to get to the problem the quickest. Sounds like you might be short on funds or just don't want to put another dime in this thing. I'd sell it "As Is" and try to attract a buyer that is willing to work on the motor.

I buy them that way often. I got one once that the owner said would rev but not go anywhere. I turned the flywheel and watched the prop turn and then noticed the left hand prop. I gave him the 600 he was asking and still have that motor today.

Ask a fair price, be honest and don't offer any advice. You'll get rid of it pretty quick. It's the season and bucks are up for boats and motors running or not.

bramiller310

Cadet

I have the money to work on it just trying not to have to send it to a shop and spend MEGA bucks on it. I am going to order the needle and change the plugs and see what happens. If that doesnt work I will be back on the forum! haha Thanks guys!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I have the money to work on it just trying not to have to send it to a shop and spend MEGA bucks on it. I am going to order the needle and change the plugs and see what happens. If that doesnt work I will be back on the forum! haha Thanks guys!

Your first cost savings investment should be the Merc Service Manual. Best tool you can buy, will save you tons of money and will keep your motor out of a shop.