ps fluid low

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class
prepping boat, pulled ps dipstick, its dry in there. i havent run the motor in 6 months, so im sure its all settled to the lowest point. do you think if i run it the level will come back up? should i top it off first? manual says fill to cold level, there must be a leak, but i cant find one..

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: ps fluid low

Howdy,

You probably have a leak out at one or both of the trim cylinders, If there's no oil in the bilge, top it off, install your flush adapter and run it to find the leak. (you do have a leak)

Regards,

Rick

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

I've repaired two this year...

Take a look at the cooler... You will note the cooler is a tube, about the size and shape of an empty roll of paper towels. There will be a small hose where the fluid enters and another small hose where the fluid leaves the cooler.

Both repairs I've done this year have been identical... The hose clamp where the fluid leaves the cooler has been loose, allowing a leak there.

It's not any fun reaching it, but worth a look for sure! Check all of your hose connections while you're down there! Good luck!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Did you drain the water from the block and low lying "areas" in the raw water system?

Water frequently pools there. When it freezes it can damage the power steering cooler. You won't see a leak there at all. The fluid slowly leaks out with the cooling water that goes through the engine and risers.

It's also helpful if you post your engine make, model, serial number.

Go to http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430 for more information....

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class

THANKS ALL, its a 2006 5.0 alpha 1.
i will check the cooler hose out tommorow, thanks for that. i ran a/f down the line, so i dont think it froze. running on the muffs should do it.

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class

is p/s fluid circulating with the trim?