Water pump 150hp Black Max

wildfire78

Recruit
What are the steps to go through to change the water pump on a 1980 150hp Black Max?? I did one years ago on a 78 115hp Evenrude and had to disconnect the shift linkage on it. I am assuming I will need to do the same on the Merc. Just not sure how to go about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

danny9696

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water pump 150hp Black Max

Hey there if you do a search in this forum I think there is a post that gives the instructions, or if you have a book for almost any merc (I Think) it will tell you, I have done them on ones back from 1969 tower of power to 2000 150's and they have all been the same for the most part, the shift rod is a splined shaft that will slip apart when you unbolt the lower unit, separate the speedo hose that is by the shift shaft before you start and there is one hidden bolt under the anode, I think it takes a 1/2" socket from the top to take it off, and I think its a 9/16" socket to get that hidden bolt out, you will also need an open ended 5/8" wrench and a 5/8 socket deep seems to work better for me. you have one nut in the very front one nut on each side (they will not come all the way out until you start dropping the unit) and one on each side up in some holes (socket) after you get the lower unit off its as simple and taking the screws out of the pump housing and putting the new impeller in and do it all in reverse, there is a few tricks that the book will give that you need to follow, with some grease in the cup and behind the keeper and turning the drive shaft the right direction to get the housing back on but I have drawn a plank, best you can do is to get the book.

Hope this was a little help though

Danny

Billfo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water pump 150hp Black Max

If you have not gotten to this project yet, I used a video off youtube as MY guide.. Between that , this forum, you should be able to "get'r done" :)

What are the steps to go through to change the water pump on a 1980 150hp Black Max?? I did one years ago on a 78 115hp Evenrude and had to disconnect the shift linkage on it. I am assuming I will need to do the same on the Merc. Just not sure how to go about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you